Water will NOT come out of Pilot Hole

I'm at the lake and water WILL NOT come out of Pilot Hole. I've tried weedeater line trick. Nothing coming out. Engine starts fine. Owners manual (and my common sense)say never operate motor when no water coming out of pilot hole. It's cold air temps where I'm at. Is there anything else I can try while here? Should I check for blockage someplace else? 2017 DF250ss
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 03-02-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: mispelling

2. Member
    How long did you let it idle before shutting it off? I really doubt that your water pump would already be bad. I'd open the on the cooling ports on either the front or back and try back flushing it first and try running it on a hose. When I started mine this spring on the house, it took mine a few minutes before water started coming out.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Quite a while because I wanted it on while messing with the pilot hole. I wanted it to pee if I fixed it. I'll try what you said. Thank you

4. Banned
    Is it possibly froze.?

5. Member
    No I don't think so rocket man. Highly doubtful. Got up to 40 degrees

6. Banned
    Did you ever find the problem.?

7. Member
    Yes Sir. Sorry took so long to reply. It's fixed!!! If I ever have this issue again I will never just visually inspect the pilot hole. The particular weedeater line I use was too think to fit in that hole. So I got a drill bit that would. I had to put it almost the entire length of the bit up the hole until I hit solid dirt (or whatever it is). It pees like a champ now. Once I started it in the driveway with the hose it all came out right away. My wife said that it was almost pitiful how something so simple could make me so happy. She's starting to see how important this "toy" is to me.

8. Banned
    Good deal. So that little cap that you turn to direct flow, you took that off and put the drill bit straight in.? Thanks.

9. Member
    I took the drill bit straight up the pilot hole where water exits to indicate it's working. I don't know anything about a little cap. I do have to look up a larger hole to see the actual pilot hole the drill bit goes up into. I think it would be very difficult to do while out on the water. But I'm top heavy and not agile. I thought I was going up in the pilot hole with a paper clip that day when I was floating on the lake. But not until I was standing in my driveway looking directly up in there did I see that pilot hole clearly to where I could insert a drill bit straight in. Are we talking about two different things or is there supposed to be a little cap there. There never has been since I've had the engine. I never needed to hook the water hose into a flushing port if you were the person that mentioned that.

10. Banned
    Different engine. I have a 115ss. I thought they might be the same. Sorry.

11. Member
    insects?

12. Member
    Just looked like brown mud. I would assume an insect of some kind. Mud Dauber? I thought it would be more obvious to see the blockage. No clue until the drill bit got up there a ways. once I loosened it, it just dribbled out for a while after I started the engine. All good now.

13. Member
    My DF is mounted so low it pees underwater....if it pees at all. I'm running a 16" diameter prop so it has to be lower.

14. Member
    Classic mud dobber scenario, is it stored outside?

15. Member
    I just took ownership in November. Previous owner lives in Michigan. But it traveled all over the place last year. I found it nice to know that the pilot hole is only a water pump indication. Just because it's not peeing doesn't mean your engine is not getting cooled by the water pump. However, I do agree that it needs to be fixed and pee so one knows for sure.

16. Member
    And no it is not stored outside with me being the owner. Garage kept. Front garage door open a lot during the day. But closed up every night.