Livewells won't fill all the way?

I have a 2004 520 vx and i can't get the livewells to fill all the way unless i back up while pumping all have seem to be working good put new pumps in too??? Any help thanks!

2. Member
    Not filling all the way is usually one of the pumps not working properly.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    So you have (OP) installed two new pumps? Also check for clogs/obstructions in the inlet hoses. Try backflushing with a garden hose. As the previous poster mentioned, the most common cause of not filling is one malfunctioning pump. Even if one is still pumping, just much less than the other one, the wells will not fill completely.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Now with the oxygenator do both pumps still pump water, dunt really understand how they work!

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yes, both pumps help to fill. The oxygenator is a separate mechanism and process. For some reason, whenever I’ve had a pump malfunction, it’s been the port/passenger side. That may just be coincidence, as the flow from that pump comes in down lower, and thus it’s harder to detect when that pump isn’t working well, unless you are specifically looking for it. Take it to the water and hit the livewell fill. If both sides aren’t pumping strongly, I mean blowing it out pretty good, there’s your problem. Should be able to replace that cartridge and get your livewell filled to the overflow.

6. Member
    Did you use the quick connectors that was there, or hard wire them?
    Maybe you hooked one up backwards?
    Just a thought.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I had an 04 Ranger 521DVX that had this issue to. My issue was one of the pumps. It seemed to be working but in fact, was nor providing enough pump action to fill the wells.

I had the same issue. The live well values leaked ridiculously on my 462. I had to run the pump continues or they would drain down to the waterline. If you fill them and pull the boat out do they leak?
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

9. Member
    No they don't leak both pumps are new cartridges and pump really good I'm going to block my overflow and see how far they will fill may be losing it through it while running around! Thanks for the help guys!

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Sounds like a plan. You could have a flapper valve issue, as you say, so that they’re filling to the appropriate level but just not staying there.

11. Banned
    Do you put your livewell control on recirculate when you make a run/ If not you will lose your water especially on a long run like I make on the Ohio River.

12. Member
    Yes i do just going to have to check it out sat thanks guys

13. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    Do you put your livewell control on recirculate when you make a run/ If not you will lose your water especially on a long run like I make on the Ohio River.
    Old topic, but you perhaps also have a bad flapper and don't realize it. 'Fill position' with a proper working Flo-Rite valve does not lose water.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Sounds like a plan. You could have a flapper valve issue, as you say, so that they’re filling to the appropriate level but just not staying there.
    This is what I had. Rebuilt the flapper in the valve and I cured my issue. If the pumps are pumping even at low volume and it never fills the water is going somewhere. Either in the bilge or out through the valve. I removed my drain screens from the bottom of the livewell and plugged it. Then see if she stays full. Any water in your bilge? To test the valves and flapper I filled the wells in the driveway with a hose , watched the water just pour out the overflow like I had the lever set to drain. Also once had a cracked housing on a pump that would fill the bilge faster than the live well. Good luck.
    Last edited by 241; 02-18-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

15. Member
    Definitely check the flapper. Fill livewell, then pull boat out of water with it in recirc or auto mode (or use a hose to fill the well in your driveway). If the livewell is draining, the flapper is bad. The flapper isn't really a tight sealing valve type so it might dribble out a little and still be considered working, but any significant flow is a problem. I just opened my flowrite valve up and almost all of the internals were gone. Not sure how that happens, but it did.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Not sure if everyone here got there livewells fixed but just had a similar issue. After further investigation the pumps were wired backwards. Bought the johnson/mayfair pumps with the pre-wired ends and never looked twice at them as the plugs can only go in one way. Water test, slow pumps not filling well all the way, took back home, checked pumps and found wire colors turned around at the plugs. Re-wired and now pumps like an s.o.b.

17. Member
    I couldn’t get mine to fill past halfway unless the flapper was turned to auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbassdaddy1190 View Post
    I couldn’t get mine to fill past halfway unless the flapper was turned to auto.
    Yes, has to be on auto to fill. Rec only recirculating the water you filled with auto. Empty, empties the well.

19. Member
    The older livewells have a pretty low overflow hole I always thought. You lose water when even going up on,plane. That being said your pumps should be able to keep the level up near the overflow outlet. I also used a pvc elbow that I wedge into the overflow to raise the level in summer.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO