Thread: Xi5 question

Xi5 question

Is there a heat sensor that will shut the motor off it begins to overheat? If I run it on 10 for about 15 seconds it shuts off then reloaded itself it will only run at half power for a while. If I have it on 5 or 6 I can run forever and it won’t cut out? Thanks.
    Last edited by janky; 02-17-2018 at 04:44 PM.

what size wiring and breaker do you have?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    No clue. This want an issue before. Only on the last two trips. Had an 80lb maxxum before.

I had a 70 lb thrust motor guide for 10 years. Bought the boat new.
    The last year it kept shutting off when I put it on high.
    I brought it to Marina and they told me that the trolling motor is no good.
    I bought an xi5 and put it on and first time out it shut off when I put it on 10
    After some investigation I installed the proper wiring ,8 gauge and the proper circuit breaker ,60 amps and haven't had a problem since.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Member
    I have probably made 10 or so trips with it before this issue. I hope it isn’t a wiring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I had a 70 lb thrust motor guide for 10 years. Bought the boat new.
    The last year it kept shutting off when I put it on high.
    I brought it to Marina and they told me that the trolling motor is no good.
    I bought an xi5 and put it on and first time out it shut off when I put it on 10
    After some investigation I installed the proper wiring ,8 gauge and the proper circuit breaker ,60 amps and haven't had a problem since.
    I know this is an old thread, but TMB can I ask you about your Xi5 wiring? Are you running a 2 wire or 4 wire system. I have an 80lb Xi5 with a 4 wire system that keeps shutting down when I run on 10. I have 30 amp breakers on each positive wire from the batteries. I was told that would be equivalent to 60amps. Am I doing something wrong??? Cause it won't stay on 100 for more than 20 seconds.

7. Member
    I wonder what guy told you that? the was bad info. You have a 4 wire system because way back when they use to make 12.24 volt motors. One set of wires id for 12 volts and one set is for 24. The wire size needs to be at least #8 better if #6. You should have a min of 50 amp breaker on 24 volt 60 amp would be better. You need to check all this out and fix any issues. Then your problem should go away.

Well, the 4 wires go to a Marinco plug where they are jumped and converted into 24V at the Plug. Question is, do I need a 60 amp breaker on each set of wires? Or should I pull all the wires and start over and take the #8 wires out and put in 1 set of #6?

*Update* For anyone else having this problem. I went with two #6 wires directly from two batteries wired in series to a 60amp Breaker. Those two wires go to the bow into a 60amp Marinco Receptacle and subsequently into the Xi5 Trolling Motor. This Fixed all the issues. I can now run on 100% hassle free!