Ultrex 70#~~Will they build it?

I grew up with cable operated motors. My first experience being with a Shakespeare! It was all metal, the foot pedal, the head and motor. It had a nice champagne paint job from the factory and a tiny little two blade prop. I distinctly remember the miniscule power button on the petal, it was a little steel shaft which protruded through the pedal and it made the most satisfying/mechanical click on and off. Memories ..was on a john boat with a 1957 18 hp evinrude tiller that had an all metal cowl with a big Cadillac flair to it! Anyways, I digress...

Fifteen years have passed since I’ve prodded a shoreline or point and it shows in the current market.

Ridiculous options! My main body of water is lake Murray, loads of point fishing/offshore with some shoreline oriented strategies mixed in.

I’m just smitten over the Ultrex but I believe the 80#/45” to be slightly overkill for a 16’ glass bass boat. I know you can’t have too much power on the bow.

Any thoughts Minn Kota will offer a 70# model Ultrex for the mid size rigs?
    Last edited by 90bumblebee; 02-17-2018 at 01:30 PM.

You can dial an 80 back but 70 is all you ever get out of a 70. I acutally upgraded from a 70 to an 80 on my last rig ans could tell a big difference

3. Member
    Thanks for the info.

I will look up the stats between the current 70 & 80 fortrex models. I’m assuming the 80# model will draw considerably more amps as it has a more powerful motor.

I do like the thought of having more juice than I need. I have been racing e-rc’s Off-road for a few years and it always works best for to overpower and then dial back the energy through programming... systems run cool and efficient

I rarely ever ran the fortrex 80 over 60% when i always ran the 70 maxxum on 4 of 5 and i think the 80 had better battery life using the same deka 27's. I have no experience with ultrex but it sure sounds like its a huge hit

5. Member
    The amp draw from a 70 to an 80 is not a considerable difference. 42A for the 70 and 56A for the 80. The way these motors handle the current makes the difference though. With the digital maximizer, the current is pulsed depending on the setting. These motor draw the full amps with each pulse, however to run the 70 at full speed, you would have the full 42A draw, if ran on 50%, you would only be drawing 42A 50% of the time you're on the button. same for the 80, except with the 80 at 50% you would be drawing 56A, 50% of the time your on the button. This means to run the 80 at the same "thrust" level of the 70, the 70 would be delivering the current the full time while the 80 would still be "pulsing" the current, probably in the 80-85% range, making it run cooler and more efficient.
    If I can help, let me know.
    John
    BTW, they have never built the 70 in a Fortrex, due to the weight and the lift assist, so I can't see them doing it with the Ultrex.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Thanks for the information Ridgerunner . That’s interesting how you seem to be experiencing better battery life with the 80.

Thanks Jonestrollingmotor I will be more than pleased to place my order with you in the near future. Ok, so the maxxum was the model I noticed offered in both 70 / 80 # .

Any predictions on a motorguide response to the ultrex function? Ie cable steer/spot lock duality?