Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar

gas treatment question

Did not want to high jack the other thread about fuel treatments.

I use Sta-bil at each fill up, but wondering what, if anything, you can do if you boat has sat for 6-7 months or even longer.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

2. Banned
    Only thing I know to do would be to siphon the tank out... Dan

3. Member
    Man, just hook up and go fishin.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Did not want to high jack the other thread about fuel treatments.

I use Sta-bil at each fill up, but wondering what, if anything, you can do if you boat has sat for 6-7 months or even longer.
    Depends how much fuel is in the tank. Say it had 1/4 tank, top off with fresh fuel and go. If it were like a year I would drain tank and start over.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    oh so wish I could....hopefully in the next few weeks.

thanks for the responses, figured it would be a stupid question but never hurts to get thoughts.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That's the correct answer. Dang near every boat in MN sits from at least November until May.

7. Member
    Fog the engine, change lower unit oil also, as for the gas I make sure I add stabil and ringfree to it the last time out running the motor to make sure is all thru the internals
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

8. mikesxpress
    If it has sat that long and it wasn't a full tank (and you kept topping it off) then drain the tank, engine VST, and change filters.

As far as the addition of Sta-bil, it does nothing for you.

Sta-Bil Manufacturer Warranty Detail:
    100% Satisfaction Guarantee! If for ANY reason you are not satisfied with this item, you may return it within 90 days for a full refund or replacement.
    *Ok that's reasonable. Nothing about any engine damages or other but you can get your $20 back less postage.

MSDS for Sta-Bil *Had to really dig for this. Businesses that stock this stuff are required to have the MSDS in there right to know employee station(s).
    http://macaravehicle.com/wp-content/...Stabilizer.pdf

To determine composition of any product, look on the MSDS section 2 Composition, information on ingredients.
    5% of the product is listed as additive mixture. As it lists no CAS# it would be deemed unregulated (maybe inert?) and would be of no concern to National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) or CDC for the purpose of public safety or 1st responder awareness.

95% of the product is listed as petroleum distillate (derived from petroleum). They can call it what ever they want in text here but the
    CAS# 64742-47-8 listed tells you what it really is.

Here is the CAS info:
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

Yep. Your reading it correctly. The product contains 95% deodorized kerosene.

Dollars to donuts
    $19.10 for 32oz of Sta-Bil Marine 360 at Ya'll-Mart or $63.09 for a gallon.
    K1 (not dyed) kerosene at the pump here in VA is about $2.64 a gallon at Southern States. Now this is kerosene that smells like kerosene so the plus up of $60.45 for the deodorized stuff is probably worth it???

Additive ratio for this Marine 360 stuff says 1 teaspoon per gallon or 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
    Hummm? Last I checked 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons ???
    So you use less kerosene for more fuel. Interesting........ Ya gotta read this stuff guys!!!!

9. Member
    Ok, most additives are either kerosene, naptha or isopropanol, pale oil or a mixture of all the above. Question is, as simple as they are do they keep fuel from going bad ?

10. Member
    Of course not. Snake oil.

11. mikesxpress
    No.

12. Member
    Stabil has worked fine for me. It kept gas in my generator good for 4 or 5 years and it starts pretty easy every 6 months or so I go out there. I am going to try that pri-g out next time I need some but it's hard to get away from something that's always worked

13. Member
    OK, so is QuickStore any better?

14. mikesxpress

Star Tron is what I've gone to after having nightmares with Stabil. I put my lawn mower, trimmer, and pressure washer up with it then put my snow blower up with it before getting my summer machines out. Every single one of them had globs of red goop in the carbs that smelled just like Stabil. 5 carb cleanings later (ended up having to do the trimmer twice) and I'd just as soon leave my machines with ethanol in them all winter than put Stabil in them.

After going to Star Tron, I've not had the first issue. All my machines - boat included - start right up in the spring. Snake oil or not, I'll continue buying it as I've been very pleased with it.

(As an aside, I don't run my machines completely out of fuel before storage. I know a lot do and more power to them, but MN winters and dry fuel lines and carbs don't play nice.)
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

16. Member
    +1 on the Star Tron
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

17. mikesxpress
    Update adding Startron

As far as reading what the MFG is claiming, that is subjective at best.

Features

Cures and prevents most ethanol problems
    Makes all engines start easily, run smoothly; improves performanceRemoves and prevents gum, carbon and varnishWorks in all engines and in all fuelHelps prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout fuel as submicronsizeddroplets that are safely eliminated while the engine operatesStabilizes fuel; helps rejuvenate old fuel1 fl. oz. treats 6 gallons of fuelReduces smoke and all other emissionsKeeps fuel delivery system clean
    Directions
    INITIAL DOSAGE: Add 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) for every 3 gallons (11 L) of gas.
    REFILL: Add 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) for every 6 gallons (22 L) of gas.Always add Star Tron just before each fuel fillup. Remove cap and pour the prescribed amount
    into tank. Overdosing is not harmful.

*I like the overdosing is not harmful part... 1 fluid oz for 6 gallons. That's gotta be some powerful stuff to treat 6 gallons of fuel with one oz. But you can dump the jug in there and it's OK!!! Come on folks..........read this stuff.

You can make your own determination based on the MSDS for Startron.

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/c...atment_SDS.pdf

To determine composition of any product, look on the MSDS section 2 Composition, information on ingredients.
    95% of the product is listed as Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light.They can call it what ever they want in text here but the
    CAS# 64742-47-8 listed tells you what it really is.

Here is where you get the CAS info:
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

Yep. Your reading it correctly. The product contains 95% deodorized kerosene.
    The remaining 5% is also kerosene/kerosene.