Bass Cat dual axle Alignment

My 2012 Bass Cat Trailer eats tires at about 5,000 miles consistently. Inside edge wear and cupping. From the back I can see camber looks like the top of the tires are in. Toe in Im sure I can easily measure with a straight pipe or bar but Ill bet thats off too. Replaced all spindles and checked all bearing, didn't help wear. So my next step is to get the trailer aligned. My question is, what kind of facility can do a trailer alignment and do these torsion axles allow for alignment? Thanks.

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I once had axle alignment issues with the trailer on my old Venture. I took it to a local shop that did truck alignment work.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

This is not in the bearings, though the idler and torque in the equalizers. The large main bolt probably has loosened and it could even be ovaled in the idler splines.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    This is not in the bearings, though the idler and torque in the equalizers. The large main bolt probably has loosened and it could even be ovaled in the idler splines.
    I replaced all spindles with new. Yes, those damn bolts were constantly getting loose since new (UPF design I believe). Not a fan of the design what so ever. Now that I have everything freshened up, Im still getting accelerated tire wear. Inside tire edge wear (bald after 5,000 miles) and cupping. Guess Im going to have to drive out of the boonies here in the mountains of Vermont and find a truck alignment shop near a city that can measure and bend these torsion axles. Getting too expensive with the tire scene.
    Last edited by fuelleak; 02-18-2018 at 08:36 AM.

That's a simple fix if everything is tight. The old I beam truck benders can fix you up and most likely it took a smack at some time which caused it. Odds are, unless your original ownership, it got hammered at one point. Even then a curbed tire or culvert drop off in a turn can do a lot of damage to one. Drop that wheel into a culvert ditch it crawls out of and just imagine the torque you out on everything.

Are you seeing the abnormal wear with all 4 tires?

7. Member
    Our TT has a turned out axle. Put radial tires on and they have enough flex to compensate for the most part. I used to do frame and chassis alignments and had two sets of nice Bear alignment tools and have the equipment to ‘adjust’ the axles but with the radials I will just let it go. For now anyway.

8. Member
    I just purchased a new axle to fix my issue on my 2012 Cougar trailer. Same issue as yours. Gonna see if the new axles help.

On welded axles it is easy, just straighten them out and check the spindle if you can. On torsion axles it somewhat more complex. Moving the rubber set, the arm itself, the bolt stem, then the spindle or even the axle being bent.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Are you seeing the abnormal wear with all 4 tires?
    Back axles are the worst but yes, all four.

11. Member
    How do you know if you have torsion or welded axles.