Lowrance HDS Transducer Question

I've done a bunch of research and haven't found a conclusive solution. I'm looking at the Lowrance boat in a box solution for my boat. It includes two HDS units and a totalscan transducer. My boat is a 99 518vx. As I've read install the transducer underneath the step. My question is should I go with the LSS 2 vs the Totalscan? I'm thinking I won't read bottom for long with the totalscan once on plane. Should I consider swapping out the totalscan for an LSS2 and install a second thru hull transducer? Would this give me readings at plane? My goal is to be able to utilize the 2d functionality at speed and down and side at slow speed. Is this achievable with this setup?

Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    On any high speed boat, the LSS with a separate 2D transducer would be the way I would go. The totalscan needs to be mounted low on the transom in order to pick up 2D sonar while on plane which places it in a more likely position to be damaged.

3. Member
    Thanks for the quick feedback, much appreciated. Another question is can I still mount the totalscan transducer and connect that along with a separate 2d transducer to a single HDS gen 3 unit or will that not work? I'm just not sure if they'll separate the totalscan from the bundle.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbirddog View Post
    Thanks for the quick feedback, much appreciated. Another question is can I still mount the totalscan transducer and connect that along with a separate 2d transducer to a single HDS gen 3 unit or will that not work? I'm just not sure if they'll separate the totalscan from the bundle.
    Yes you can mount the total scan and a 2d transducer, but you will have to manually switch your sources to change from the total scan to the 2d transducer. Carbons give you two channels to use two different 2d sources at once.

5. Member
    What other transducer is included in the bundle? If it is the standard 83/200 khz puck style you may still have some options. I believe the totalscan transducer would make a good trolling motor mounted transducer if it will fit. Then you could mount the puck in the bilge and purchase an LSS-2 to mount on the step or jackplate. IMHO, that would give you the best setup.

6. Member
    They show a photo but no specifications on the other transducer. I believe it's an 83/200 puck but would verify before I purchase. I was thinking the same route as you suggested to mount the totalscan on the trolling motor and purchase another lss2. However the idea of manually changing the transducer I see on the other HDS seems like effort everytime? Maybe that only applies to the totalscan and not the LSS2 & puck combo?

Only reason to use a 2d puck + totalscan is if you were using the totalscan at the stern, and using the 2d for on-plane readings.

The puck + LSS2 plan for the rear and totalscan at bow negates the need for another 2d since totalscan takes care of 2d AND structure scan (down+side).

The puck in the bilge will need to be w/remote temp sensor (pdrt) although I think you can pull temp from the LSS (only read off-plane).

8. Member
    Do you need to manually switch between the lss2 and puck if there on the same HDS unit?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbirddog View Post
    Do you need to manually switch between the lss2 and puck if there on the same HDS unit?
    No. LSS-2 is for down/ side scan only and works separately from 2d transducer

10. Member
    Oups!!!
    Hi Dirt ball,
    What do you mean by "manually switch"? Will I have to go in setting menu each time I switch from total scan and a TM150M for example?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonfon View Post
    Oups!!!
    Hi Dirt ball,
    What do you mean by "manually switch"? Will I have to go in setting menu each time I switch from total scan and a TM150M for example?
    On units capable of having two separate 2D-transducers connected, HDS Carbon and HDS Live, you switch between the transducers in the sonar-menu. Same menu as used for changing frequenzy when on the sonar-page. You will have the TotalScan on channel 2, and the TM150M on channel 1, selecting channel = selecting transducer.