Very deep diving jerkbaits

I'm looking for information about fishing jerkbaits in the 10' and deeper depths... Which baits you feel work well, how you retrieve them, do you have a color direction that works better at that depth and what structure/cover you fish these over similar diving crankbaits??? thanks

oe

2. Member
    I have tried many deep diving jerk baits, and the ONLY one I have found to even remotely touch 10' is the Lucky Craft pointer 100 XD. This bait will go 10' on 8-10lb flouro. color will hafto do with water clarity, weather etc. Ghost minnow is always a good starting point tho.

3. Member
    I like the staysee 90 if I'm going a little deeper.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    I have tried many deep diving jerk baits, and the ONLY one I have found to even remotely touch 10' is the Lucky Craft pointer 100 XD. This bait will go 10' on 8-10lb flouro. color will hafto do with water clarity, weather etc. Ghost minnow is always a good starting point tho.
    +1

I was going to say that the Staysee 90 was a good one to try. Never tried the Pointer XD.

The Rapala Shadow Rap Deep in the slow sinking version is another I've had a lot of luck with, with 2 caveats. 1) Change out the stock hooks. They're sharp, but bend out way too easily. The first pike or decent fish that gets hold of it is going to twist them up. 2) It's not a matter of if, but when it will crack. Usually right along the lateral line between the first and second hook hanger. They actually work really well when they fill with water if you're on a deep bite as they start sinking quickly. It's only good for that day, though, as everything gets all stuck together and the action ruined later.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Yes it’s a shame that those repala’s crack as often as they do because they are killer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I like the staysee 90 if I'm going a little deeper.
    X2

8. Member
    Obviously a bunch of young guys. The old Spoonbill Rebel (don't know if they are even made any more) would, and still will, get so deep you can't reach it with a 15' push pole. Fish catching SOB.

Same with the spoonbill Rogues. No one throws these baits but us old guys. I find they get deeper than either of the Lucky Craft baits.

Biggest problem is they are hard to cast.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Obviously a bunch of young guys. The old Spoonbill Rebel (don't know if they are even made any more) would, and still will, get so deep you can't reach it with a 15' push pole. Fish catching SOB.

Same with the spoonbill Rogues. No one throws these baits but us old guys. I find they get deeper than either of the Lucky Craft baits.

Biggest problem is they are hard to cast.
    You can add the old spoonbill bagleys jerkbaits to that too. And all came with horrible hooks that had to be changed.

I've caught fish on the Spoonbill Rebles, Rouges, and Bagley's. But, the one I have had the most success with was the old Deep Thunderstick Jr. that Storm made. I weighted my baits to suspend by tying lead wire around the hooks. It took very little lead wire to make them suspend perfectly. The ones I had the best luck with were made before Storm was bought by Normark. Normark came out with the "Original" Series of the bait a few years ago. While the paint jobs are the same as the old Storm baits, the plastic is very different...it is far more buoyant and take a whole lot of lead wire to make them suspend.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    If I have to go deep, out comes the wire weighted Rogues.

12. Member
    no mention of KVD deep jerkbait? I've been using the Staysee 90 v2... short pulls or a few cranks then sit, I've found that it doesn't work side-to-side well. Just bought a Pointer 78XD... looks quite similar to the Staysee. The bill is a little narrower than the Staysee.

I'd like to know how you guys work your deep jerkbaits and what you expect the action to be?