Thread: RT188 SHO

RT188 SHO

Ordered a CMC 5.5 manual jack plate and have a Spitfire X7 19p im about to install. Tried the X7 with no setback motor mounted second hole from top. Was getting about 5700 RPM with just me and lightly loaded. Around 44 mph roughly if i remember correctly. Thoughts on how this new setup is gonna act? Suggestions and comments please.
    2017 RT188 Crystal Red DC
    Yamaha SHO 115
    CMC 5.5 manual jack plate
    Spitfire X7 19p
    Minn Kota Maxxum 70
    Hook 7 in console
    Hook 9 on bow

2. Member
    Just changing to the x7 should of helped speed a little more from previous posts. I hit 43 on GPS with stock 4 blade aluminum. No jackplate.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

3. Member
    Running 46.3 at hole #2 at 5500. Had it raised to #3. You're leaving 600rpm currently, so JP and raising motor will help get you to the high 40s.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    I think it will definitely improve with the setback and dial in the right motor height. If that gets it some more WOT rpm you might not have to tinker with the prop pitch and be good to go .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    I think it will definitely improve with the setback and dial in the right motor height. If that gets it some more WOT rpm you might not have to tinker with the prop pitch and be good to go .
    Agree, setback plate and 1 hole up on mount. With that X7 and your there.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    Any suggestions on adjusting the jack plate? Where to start as far as height and how much to move each time until its dialed in? First jack plate for me..
    Yamaha SHO 115
    Spitfire X7 19p
    Minn Kota Maxxum 70
    Hook 7 in console
    Hook 9 on bow

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Any suggestions on adjusting the jack plate? Where to start as far as height and how much to move each time until its dialed in? First jack plate for me..
    Ok, where your prop to pad (level) measurement is now. You want to go up with the prop 7/8” to start. So say your somewhere now at 7” go to 6-1/8”. Then move up in 1/4” measurements until your speed slows or the prop start cavitaing. Then move down 1/8” at a time. You can be anywhere between 6-1/8 to 4”. But to be in a good neutral steering and can trim out just that little bump more, to feel the bow lift. Is what your looking for. If you trim from half trim to full out trim, with no cavitation. And your speed does not change, your there. But if your speed goes up at full trim. Your motor isn’t high enough yet. When you get in that sweet spot. And your rpms are 200 less than or at max. Your done. But if rpms over over your max. The best thing to do is prop work, by adding a little cup. Or the cheaper way is to bring motor down just enough so rpms are in line. But that would be leaving some little speed still out there.

That’s how to dial it in for max. But it’s a fishing boat with out a performance hull. But this way of setting up this hull should have you between 5”-4-1/2” prop to pad. Keep in mine work from a neutral steering. And not trim full out. There is a big difference. And will alleviate most of the issues with porpoising. That problem is really magnified by needing to trim out to far for more speed. Because motor is to low

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

8. Member
    Tested today. The cavitation plate is 1/2” above keel. 46.8 mph 6200 rpm wot. Hole shot was pretty good also. I was thinking I would get 48ish. Opinions? Think a laser 2 21 pitch or 20 will get more on top end? Overall happy.
    Yamaha SHO 115
    Spitfire X7 19p
    Minn Kota Maxxum 70
    Hook 7 in console
    Hook 9 on bow

9. Member
    That’s good improvement for just one test run . I’m running a 3 blade PTR3 ( Powertech) 21p with the 4” setback . It’s a high rake prop comparable to the laser 2 . I’m getting consistent 47ish loaded . Light , just me and gear 48ish . Saw 49 a couple of times but haven’t seen that majical 50 yet . Lol My motor is still in the second hole from the factory . Been happy with it and haven’t messed with it yet .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    That’s good improvement for just one test run . I’m running a 3 blade PTR3 ( Powertech) 21p with the 4” setback . It’s a high rake prop comparable to the laser 2 . I’m getting consistent 47ish loaded . Light , just me and gear 48ish . Saw 49 a couple of times but haven’t seen that majical 50 yet . Lol My motor is still in the second hole from the factory . Been happy with it and haven’t messed with it yet .
    What’s your rpms? Don’t change your prop for a L2. Yours already has the cup you need. The laser has no cup out of the box. If your rpm is say 200 low raise the motor to the third hole.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

11. Member
    Tested today. The cavitation plate is 1/2” above keel. 46.8 mph 6200 rpm wot. Hole shot was pretty good also. I was thinking I would get 48ish. Opinions? Think a laser 2 21 pitch or 20 will get more on top end? Overall happy.
    I have a Laser II that's a little faster, but the handling is not in the same universe as the X7.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    What’s your rpms? Don’t change your prop for a L2. Yours already has the cup you need. The laser has no cup out of the box. If your rpm is say 200 low raise the motor to the third hole.
    Going by my analog gauge around 6000 loaded and it eases up a hair above it running light

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

What do you generally see for results when moving the outboard up one whole? What does it do to rpms etc. ?
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

14. Member
    Rpms 6200 46-47 mph
    Yamaha SHO 115
    Spitfire X7 19p
    Minn Kota Maxxum 70
    Hook 7 in console
    Hook 9 on bow

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeBassin View Post
    What do you generally see for results when moving the outboard up one whole? What does it do to rpms etc. ?
    rpms will gain on average 100 on each hole motor is raised

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    rpms will gain on average 100 on each hole motor is raised
    Thanks
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N