Deploy or get out

It's about time. I guess at any given time 13-14 % of the force is nondeployable. That is roughly 286,000 soldiers, sailors, marines, and airman. What do you think?

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...et-out-policy/

2. Member
    You mean military readiness is finally getting some priority over political correctness, about time.

3. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I think they should get these guys and gals up to snuff as fast as they can and put them in a deployable status. I would guess some kind of time limit is needed for this. If they can't be deployed, then need to discharge them, honorably of course and even give them a medical disability if it's called for. My way of thinking is the military is there to defend this country on a moments notice. If that means going overseas one should be ready and willing. Heck, when I was a young man I couldn't wait to go over, I looked at it as an adventure. I'm sure that of the 286,000 there are some gold bricker snowflakes, find them and deal with it quickly.

I do like what our POTUS is for the military, it's about time.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

4. Member
    If they are non-deployable because they got hurt in combat or training then give them adequate time to recover. If recovery is not viable long term, medically discharge them but they MUST be taken care of, medical retirement, disability, etc.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    I think they should get these guys and gals up to snuff as fast as they can and put them in a deployable status. I would guess some kind of time limit is needed for this. If they can't be deployed, then need to discharge them, honorably of course and even give them a medical disability if it's called for. My way of thinking is the military is there to defend this country on a moments notice. If that means going overseas one should be ready and willing. Heck, when I was a young man I couldn't wait to go over, I looked at it as an adventure. I'm sure that of the 286,000 there are some gold bricker snowflakes, find them and deal with it quickly.

I do like what our POTUS is for the military, it's about time.
    Wasn't the POTUS non deployable??....He hasn't visited troops in a combat zone yet so maybe it still applies..lol
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 02-21-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Wasn't the POTUS non deployable??....He hasn't visited troops in a combat zone yet so maybe it still applies..lol
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I didn't know Obama served.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I didn't know Obama served.
    Obama was never declared "Non-deployable".... Just and I do like the Mattis appointment and agree with him on this....When we deployed there was a National Guard unit that was non mission effective because they lost over 40 percent due to Dental issues and other health related problems picked up at the Mob site...I won't say what state they were from but that state is known to have healthcare issues...especially dental..They have offered Dental insurance for NG and Reserve at a low rate since then, last I knew...

I saw a funny meme on this talking about how how half the Pentagon is probably non deployable...

Food for freedom again?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    If they are non-deployable because they got hurt in combat or training then give them adequate time to recover. If recovery is not viable long term, medically discharge them but they MUST be taken care of, medical retirement, disability, etc.
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

11. Member
    I agree with master gun. But I think the problem isn't those members but the one's that don't want to deploy. In their case boot em out.

12. Member
    I can understand that NG, back in the60's&70's didn't want to be drafted, or deployed. However some were wanting to serve, but couldn't due to family or other reasons. My brother was one who wanted to serve as active army, but budget cuts left him with only one choice NG.he received no benefits because he never deployed.I think that is a slap in the face, for those of whom only had that option. And back then deployment wasn't on the table.

13. Member
    I have a dear SFC friend in EOD who has been deployed several times. He loves blowing enemy stuff up!!!! He is going to retire this year. Not because he wants to but because the Snowflakes are in the services now and its different than it was.
    I can remember spending hours getting all of my gear prepared for an IG inspection. Spit shining boots, cracking starch, haircut, making sure uniform was perfect and weapon (M14) was cleaned to perfection...They don't do that any longer. Oh well....

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    I have a dear SFC friend in EOD who has been deployed several times. He loves blowing enemy stuff up!!!! He is going to retire this year. Not because he wants to but because the Snowflakes are in the services now and its different than it was.
    I can remember spending hours getting all of my gear prepared for an IG inspection. Spit shining boots, cracking starch, haircut, making sure uniform was perfect and weapon (M14) was cleaned to perfection...They don't do that any longer. Oh well....
    So a large number of the current military have multiple deployments....Yet they're snowflakes?...Who the hell do you think has been carrying the spear the last decade or so?? Not us old guys that is for sure...
    I am sure they are probabaly still doing IG inspections but when the Inspecting Officer faces a troop bearing a sleeve full of combat stripes he may get a "Go screw yourself sir"...if the Officer points out a smudge on his brass........Troops these days are more concerned about servicable weapons systems and getting their sheet together for the next deployment than some dog and pony show..
    I led 150 or so of those so called Snowflakes into combat....I wouldn't have traded a single one of them for all the wannabes in the world.....I take offense to that term for anyone that has signed a contract to put their life on the line....
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 04-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

15. Member
    So a large number of the current military have multiple deployments....Yet they're snowflakes?...Who the hell do you think has been carrying the spear the last decade or so?? Not us old guys that is for sure...
    I am sure they are probabaly still doing IG inspections but when the Inspecting Officer faces a troop bearing a sleeve full of combat stripes he may get a "Go screw yourself sir"...if the Officer points out a smudge on his brass........Troops these days are more concerned about servicable weapons systems and getting their sheet together for the next deployment than some dog and pony show..
    I led 150 or so of those so called Snowflakes into combat....I wouldn't have traded a single one of them for all the wannabes in the world.....I take offense to that term for anyone that has signed a contract to put their life on the line....

Young man, let me first thank you for your service.
    I was in II corps in Vietnam on an 18 mile recon of the Con River before you were a year old...There are no wannabes on this site Sir. I was med evaced out of Vietnam. I have balls Sir, Big Ones.
    I see officers every day. I go to Fort Leavenworth daily to work out at Gruber Gym. I still say "Sir" or "Mam" to officers and I never would tell an Officer, even though I couldn't stand the guy or woman, to "go screw him or her self" I wouldn't do that now.

I went through a three month in hospital PTSD treatment. One of the three in my particular intensive therapy group was a Major. He was a Captain in Vietnam. I saw this man cry like a baby, as the three of us did, when reliving our experiences in Vietnam. The Major cried over all of the troops under his command he sent to their death. No wannabes here Sir. Just thinking about the Vietnam experience stirs a great deal of emotion in me. No wannabes here Sir.

The services have evolved over the years Sir. Oh and by the way, you guys and women came home to cheers and honors...We came home to the most vile hatred imaginable. No wannabes here Sir..None of The Vietnam Veterans are wannabes...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Young man, let me first thank you for your service.
    I was in II corps in Vietnam on an 18 mile recon of the Con River before you were a year old...There are no wannabes on this site Sir. I was med evaced out of Vietnam. I have balls Sir, Big Ones.
    I see officers every day. I go to Fort Leavenworth daily to work out at Gruber Gym. I still say "Sir" or "Mam" to officers and I never would tell an Officer, even though I couldn't stand the guy or woman, to "go screw him or her self" I wouldn't do that now.

I went through a three month in hospital PTSD treatment. One of the three in my particular intensive therapy group was a Major. He was a Captain in Vietnam. I saw this man cry like a baby, as the three of us did, when reliving our experiences in Vietnam. The Major cried over all of the troops under his command he sent to their death. No wannabes here Sir. Just thinking about the Vietnam experience stirs a great deal of emotion in me. No wannabes here Sir.

The services have evolved over the years Sir. Oh and by the way, you guys and women came home to cheers and honors...We came home to the most vile hatred imaginable. No wannabes here Sir..None of The Vietnam Veterans are wannabes...
    1st off...Thank you for your service...
    .I wasn't calling you a or anyone else on this site a "Wannabe"..it was more a remark to the General public...I have great respect for Vietnam vets and Combat vets from that era are the guys that helped to form the leaders that were on the battlefield during Desert storm and the Early part of Iraq....Without the training that we received on troop care and leadership from Combat vets out of Vietnam things may look alot different...

It is very frustrating to me when someone makes a blanket statement about the combat readiness of troops in Today's military....Like I said these guys and gals are seeing multiple combat deployments and have been basically mired in a decade and a half war on multiple fronts with no real clear cut mission or endstate...That is not the fault of the young soldier on the battlefield.....If you want to raise hell, raise hell with this country's leadership that have yet to nail down what we need to do to get our military members back home and call "Mission complete"...Being a Vietnam vet you should be intimately familiar of the feeling of returning home and wondering "What the hell was that all about??"...We fight for our buddies on the battlefield but when the smoke clears and we start reflecting on what was sacrificed questions start to come up....

OEF/OIF has been put on the back burner of the general public's minds and the media...Yet troops are away from their families, in harms way and spilling blood every day.......Makes no sense to me....
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn