Thread: SHO VS F SERIES

SHO VS F SERIES

What is the main difference between the f series engine and the sho? THANKS.

2. Member
    I will presume that you are talking about the original V6 4.2 liter models.

Originally it was that the F series (Offshore models) used digitally controlled throttle and shift whereas the VF series (SHO's) were mechanically controlled.

The SHO's came in a 20" shaft length only. The Offshore's came in 25" and 30" shaft lengths. Offshore's came in right hand turn and left hand turn (gear cases) models. SHO's were right hand turn only.

SHO's made their maximum power at 6000 RPM. Offshore's made their maximum power at 5500 RPM.

A different bracket and power trim and tilt units are used. Maybe slightly less robust in the SHO series.

Then along came SHO's in I4 configurations and V6 models with 25" mid-sections and the water has gotten very muddy. Might be easier to compare two specific models against each other than to compare the many F series and many VF series models.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I will presume that you are talking about the original V6 4.2 liter models.

Originally it was that the F series (Offshore models) used digitally controlled throttle and shift whereas the VF series (SHO's) were mechanically controlled.

The SHO's came in a 20" shaft length only. The Offshore's came in 25" and 30" shaft lengths. Offshore's came in right hand turn and left hand turn (gear cases) models. SHO's were right hand turn only.

SHO's made their maximum power at 6000 RPM. Offshore's made their maximum power at 5500 RPM.

A different bracket and power trim and tilt units are used. Maybe slightly less robust in the SHO series.

Then along came SHO's in I4 configurations and V6 models with 25" mid-sections and the water has gotten very muddy. Might be easier to compare two specific models against each other than to compare the many F series and many VF series models.
    what about the 150 sho compaired to the f series 150

4. Member
    https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ut...-comparison?E6

In the first select engine column choose the VF150. Hit the enter button and it will give you the main features of both models, side by side.