Thread: Merc 4 stroke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I owned SHO number 44 and it was an awesome rock solid motor - it’s the reason I bought another!
    Think that was the issue. You didn't know if you had a good one or a bad one. Until it blew.

I would cancel the order and wait to get the four stroke,,,,,,It would be well worth the wait to me ,

3. Member
    Just showed on the fishing channel a commercial. 225 the biggest size 4-stroke Mercury.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    I had one of the first run of SHO’s and it didn’t end well. Mine blew at 60hrs. History proves that buying a first year motor is a gamble. Every single first year motor has had issues. From the PRO Xs to the SHO, and the Evinrude G2. Lesson learned for me! That being said I loved my SHO til it blew up. I’d get another one now that the kinks are out. Any motor can blow and any motor can have issues. Those first ones certainly are more prone.

5. Banned
    any of them can have issues. my 2017 pro xs 250 burned a piston at 140 hours two weeks ago 1200 miles from home on a fishing trip on falcon

6. Member
    I’d stick with the two stroke, but that’s obviously a debate that won’t be settled here....

7. Member
    Jeff my blew up on Falcon as well....14 hrs from home. How was the fishing before motor went out. I haven’t been there in a while.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laposta28 View Post
    Jeff my blew up on Falcon as well....14 hrs from home. How was the fishing before motor went out. I haven’t been there in a while.

It was tough by falcon standards from my understanding... but it was about normal to good by what Im used to.
    Last edited by Jeff from Iowa; 02-18-2018 at 01:18 PM.

If it's available for a bass boat application, I'd go for it.

10. Member
    Supposed to be some stuff come out at the classic. I would wait for that

Looking forward to seeing what the classic holds. I was able to speak with family that sales boats at a local dealer and his knowledge coming from Mercury is they will be cutting the cord with 2-strokes within the year and be 100% 4-stroke just like Yamaha did. We may not have a choice to embrace the new 4-stroke.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

12. Member
    That's the word. 2 strokes out this year and all 4s from then on. Once you drive one I think just about everybody will like them better. They claim this merc fourstroke to be faster than the pro xs. If so, that alone will change a lot of minds

I'm happy with the Verado Pro....not the same as the new one, but lots of advantages in the 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Think that was the issue. You didn't know if you had a good one or a bad one. Until it blew.
    . . . pretty sure that’s how it works with every motor. If my SHO had blown I’d have bought another in a heartbeat. Frankly I am shocked that Merc has been able to stay relevant clinging to two strokes like they have but it looks they’ve finally figured this out and maybe now will have a motor that will compete in performance and weight.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    The new 200 and 225 Merc 4 strokes will not be available for sale until sometime in May, but will be shown on some bay boats with a 25'' transom at the Classic. You probably will not see the 250 PROXS 4 strokes until new model year.

16. Member
    . . . pretty sure that’s how it works with every motor. If my SHO had blown I’d have bought another in a heartbeat. Frankly I am shocked that Merc has been able to stay relevant clinging to two strokes like they have but it looks they’ve finally figured this out and maybe now will have a motor that will compete in performance and weight.
    If my SHO blew tomorrow I'd replace it with another. And I agree.

17. Moderator
    I owned SHO number 44 and it was an awesome rock solid motor - it’s the reason I bought another!
    My partner had no. 56 it was a beast and would push his z521 over 72 mph. Yamaha put a new power head on it last year. It didn’t need one but they put him one on there. He rarely ran it over 5500 rpms I mean very rarely. My next motor will be a sho or a g2 for sure.

18. Member
    Merc has stayed relavent with the decrepit pro xs because the g1 etec was a bomb and people were scared of 4 strokes and the issues the early sho's had.
    Now it's mostly the older crotchety crowd that don't like change that will cling to the 2 strokes until they're gone. The guys have that ran a G2 or sho usually don't go back unless they got a lemon which can happen with anything.
    The ones that make me laugh are the ones that say they ran a sho and it didn't have the power of their pro xs. Yea, ok

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Merc has stayed relavent with the decrepit pro xs because the g1 etec was a bomb and people were scared of 4 strokes and the issues the early sho's had.
    Now it's mostly the older crotchety crowd that don't like change that will cling to the 2 strokes until they're gone. The guys have that ran a G2 or sho usually don't go back unless they got a lemon which can happen with anything.
    The ones that make me laugh are the ones that say they ran a sho and it didn't have the power of their pro xs. Yea, ok
    G2 is a 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    G2 is a 2 stroke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast