Impeller replacement

Guys i have a 115 optimax. I want to replace the impeller my question is it a difficult job or fairly easy. Would it be better to have it done. I am mechanically inclined so that is not an issue. I just don't want to get into something and end up having to taking it somewhere anyway.

2. Member
    Go to the 2.0,2.4,2.5 motor forum. At the top is FAQ. Click on it and scroll down to you see Sherm’s Tips under compression testing. Good step by step guide with pictures.

3. Member
    get you a factory manual and alignment pins
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I have looked at Sherms tip it seems fairly easy. The part about
    the changing gears on the gear case and turning prop
    counter clock wise is a bit confusing. He did not mention a
    need for
    alignment pins. Any advise

5. Member
    need to use alignment pins like a 3.0L for 115
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    need to use alignment pins like a 3.0L for 115
    I didn't use any pins; wouldn't even know where to put them?

7. Banned
    Here is an instructional thread:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=581149

8. Member
    Know alignment pins are helpful for the 3L, not at all necessary for the 2.5L, but no idea on the 1.5L as I've never seen a water pump on that one.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Okay I think I got this. BUT one more thing has me confused. Sherms tips says to leave motor in neutral during disassembly then put gear box on boat to forward and manually with pliers put the gear on the lower unit in forward for assembly. Others say leave in neutral for the entire process. Those of you that have done this what do you do. Installing the lower unit back into the motor is the only part that seems might be difficult.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue shad View Post
    Okay I think I got this. BUT one more thing has me confused. Sherms tips says to leave motor in neutral during disassembly then put gear box on boat to forward and manually with pliers put the gear on the lower unit in forward for assembly. Others say leave in neutral for the entire process. Those of you that have done this what do you do. Installing the lower unit back into the motor is the only part that seems might be difficult.
    Follow the instructional link I posted above.
    I just leave it in neutral.

11. Member
    top housing on 115 is just like 3.0L 2 holes are larger made for pins to hold every thing straight

12. Banned
    top housing on 115 is just like 3.0L 2 holes are larger made for pins to hold every thing straight
    Still don't know exactly what you are referring to. There's 5-6 studs sticking down from the tuner that line everything up when you slide the LU back on.

13. Member
    the water pump on the 115 optis are like the 3.0LS top housing has 4 holes for bolts no studs so alignment pins hold every thing straight for assembly,2 holes in housing are larger than other 2 that's where pins go through it [make any sense ?] sorry for confusion

14. Banned
    the water pump on the 115 optis are like the 3.0LS top housing has 4 holes for bolts no studs so alignment pins hold every thing straight for assembly,2 holes in housing are larger than other 2 that's where pins go through it [make any sense ?] sorry for confusion
    Oh, for the pump housing itself?

15. Member

16. Member
    Link provided in reply #7 is complete with pictures showing why guide pins are helpful. I should have checked it before responding.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I should have checked it before responding.
    aint nobody hurt

18. Member
    Yep, all good Joe. I'd even commented on Roy's topic and had completely forgotten. Must be an age thing.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax