Thread: Fuel Treatments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have quit topping off, 15 years ago. Heck Nitros had a 65 gallon tank at one point. I'n not hauling 65 gallons of gas to fish Fayette. I have never had an issue. Course I put plus 100 hours on my motor each year. I have noticed quickclean and seafoam doing what it was advertised to do.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Keith no offense taken. The information about the actual content of these additives is being provided as FYI and I standby my statement that one needs to make there own decision as to there use. I'm a mechanical engineer capable of reading the MSDS which I do on most items.
    You are correct that the carrier (kerosene/oils) is the method to dispurse the very small % (on average <1% by weight) of "other" components stated on the MSDS. Kerosene has an octane rating of 25. Will the addition of that to your fuel drop your overall octane rating? In the amounts the additive manufacturers recommend probably not. If you over dose, maybe.
    Do they work? In my personal opinion no. Others will have a different view and that's fine too.
    With the advent of E10 I feel it has more than enough cleaning attributes. If you use your fuel inside of 12 months and keep the tanks topped off you will have no moisture absorption issues. I proved this to myself over the years by following the top off program and no additives. It works for me. Others may find it doesn't work for them.
    I would like to see some field test done. It would be interesting to see how each held up. The only thing I have with filling up is carrying all that weight around. I think cost weighted it would come out about the same either filling up or using the treatments. I don't have a bunch of gas cans or I would do the test. Of course I couldn't chemically examine the results but we could tell if any separation accured .

3. Member
    Ethanol,also can mess up you fuel lines. I like Biobor.

4. mikesxpress
    What type field tests? What bench marks would you want to see?

5. mikesxpress
    What type field tests? What bench marks would you want to see?

A gallon of gasoline weighs: 6.073 pounds. I have two 24 gallon tanks. That's 291.504 lbs when full. Agreed that is allot of weight. I spend allot more time on the TM fishing than I do running so an average day is about 8 gallons used or 48.584 lbs or two days -97.168 lbs, or 3 days -145.752 lbs. I don't do weekends very often so it gets topped off before it gets parked for Sat/Sun. Being retired I fish 2-4 days per week where a few of those days being consecutive where I don't top off between days and I cycle use from both tanks. I'm 15 minutes from the ramp so I burn more fuel in the boat than the truck.
    When I make my annual trips to Erie & Okeechobee I run both tanks down the week before to lighten the load. When deer season opens in October it gets occasional use and gets topped off each trip.

6. Member
    I'm thinking field test like 4 or 5 five gallon cans filled up and let sit for 6 months to a year. One with nothing, maybe two with nothing just to see if they react different, and the rest with different variations of treatments. Might take up to 10 cans for the different brands and cocktails.
    You have an advantage being close to the lake. I have almost 2hr drive one way to get to our camp and I pull the boat. It's not a bad drive but that weight adds up. I can tell when it's filled up vs when I run it low. I usually get gas at a little station about 30 minutes from the camp. They carried non ethanol mid grade. They just stopped so i can just get it anywhere now.

7. mikesxpress
    Going to tough to find someone to perform those longevity tests without some financial incentive.

8. Member
    Yea. I know.

9. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    My old Johnson 225 HO gets
    91 octane non E gas ,and one ounce
    seafoam per gallon, doing it for years
    it purrs, carbbed motor

10. #FRB
    Like it or not I can guarantee Startron works wonders with ethanol gas. I will continue to "waste" my money on it as well as others on here that have success stories with it. The 4-stroke Mercury on my boat runs the same on e10 treated with Startron when several months old as it does when it's fresh. The 18hp Kohler on my riding mower is gravity feed and has sat all winter with ethanol gas in it. Fired up and ran the same as it would have if the gas was fresh and engine run the day before. I GUARANTEE if the gas wouldn't have been treated it would have run like crap if at all.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Banned
    I have a 2001 225 efi. I have never ran any additive or cleaner. Never had a problem in 17 yrs

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    I have a 2001 225 efi. I have never ran any additive or cleaner. Never had a problem in 17 yrs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backlash Ar View Post
    Been using a product for years called PRI-G without any problems.
    I too was using PRI-G for different equipment until one spring starting my 250 Pro XS and every O- Ring in the fuel system started spaying fuel everywhere. Hence my username: fuelleak. Thanks PRI-G for the handle...

14. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    I too was using PRI-G for different equipment until one spring starting my 250 Pro XS and every O- Ring in the fuel system started spaying fuel everywhere. Hence my username: fuelleak. Thanks PRI-G for the handle...
    I can only relate how Pri-G has worked for me; and I've never had a problem with it. Maybe it has some thing to do with the fact that I've never used any gas with ethanol in it, plus here in Arkansas you can fish all year around and the boat never sits for any extended period of time.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

15. Member
    I have been following this thread and had an idea, someone that is home during the day contact Stabil or Startron and ask how their product works, since through research it was determined that it is mostly kerosene. This idea is not meant to be derogatory in any way to the research that was done on fuel additive products.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Kevin don't get caught up the additive nonsense.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=864900
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    Proud Army Dad

17. Member
    Isn’t the vapor pressure of gasoline more than atmospheric pressure? If that’s the case you’re better off not topping off the tank cause the vapor pressure being higher than atmospheric would not allow outside air to come in which is where the water would come from. I never ever fill my tank after getting off the water. My boat has sat for a year and before filling the tank up I’ll pump some gas out to check for water and never have their been water. Also on fuel additives, the guys who clean injectors recommend them cause the ones that come in and flow good without restrictions all run some type of additive. The ones that are restricted don’t.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    Isn’t the vapor pressure of gasoline more than atmospheric pressure? If that’s the case you’re better off not topping off the tank cause the vapor pressure being higher than atmospheric would not allow outside air to come in which is where the water would come from. I never ever fill my tank after getting off the water. My boat has sat for a year and before filling the tank up I’ll pump some gas out to check for water and never have their been water. Also on fuel additives, the guys who clean injectors recommend them cause the ones that come in and flow good without restrictions all run some type of additive. The ones that are restricted don’t.
    Depends on ambient temperature.

19. Banned
    Topping off the tanks is a no go for me. Having to stop at the station after every trip and having to haul a round 56 gallons of gas is not happening for me. Matter of fact I can’t hardly remember the time my boat had more than a half tank in each side. Lol. Seems unnecessary to me. I’ll just take my chances with startron or other additives. No problems what so ever since I started using it.

20. Member
    I say what ever works for you. Piece of mind

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123