Thread: Fuel Treatments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fuel Treatments

I have a 2017 Suzuki 250SS. I've done a little searching on BBC forums. But my question is, for my particular engine and/or stroke freshwater outboards in general, what fuel additives should one use? I run Stabil if it will sit several weeks. I assume that is ok. But what about, for example, Lucas ethanol treatment? I'm willing to spend the money to be preventative.
    Thanks

I would do what Suzuki says to do?

3. Member
    Alot of guys run Sea Foam
    Outlaw Bass

4. Member
    Star Tron has been my go to for years. In fact with my current 2010 Lowe I have never pump one ounce of fuel into it without adding some Star Tron fuel treatment.

5. Member
    Fishnkamp do you have a 4 stroke?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnkamp View Post
    Star Tron has been my go to for years. In fact with my current 2010 Lowe I have never pump one ounce of fuel into it without adding some Star Tron fuel treatment.
    ^^^^^ This

7. Banned
    Add some form of ethanol treatment and injector cleaner with every fill-up... You never know when something may happen that keeps you off the water for an extended period of time... Suzuki has to make or recommend the products needed... Dan

8. mikesxpress
    Kevin don't get caught up the additive nonsense.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=864900

9. #FRB
    Startron in all my ethanol blended fuel. Never a problem. Riding mower even fired right up and ran yesterday like it was started yesterday after sitting for months and it had Startron in ethanol gas. Not bad for a gravity feed and in the boat have never had an issue with fuel in there for months.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Like Mike says, it is all snake oil.

11. Member
    Keep your tank topped off. whether it is your boat, truck or whatever.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Startron in all my ethanol blended fuel. Never a problem. Riding mower even fired right up and ran yesterday like it was started yesterday after sitting for months and it had Startron in ethanol gas. Not bad for a gravity feed and in the boat have never had an issue with fuel in there for months.
    You could have saved yourself some $ and just kept the tanks topped off and got the same results. Don't follow the herd. It leads to the slaughter house.

13. #FRB
    If Startron keeps less than half a tank from separating it's worth the few dollars a year just for peace of mind. I refuse to top tanks off after each use. The 4-stroke on my boat doesn't use enough gas to do it without fear of what's already in there going bad over time.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

14. Member
    I run star tron and ring free plus. I use the prescribed amount of each in the tank. Never had an issue knock on wood

15. Member
    BassCatKev No I do not run a 4 stroke. Water separation is much more of a problem with an injected engine then in my carbed engine, but it is a problem nonetheless. I would suggest you read the Star Tron website about the benefits of using their marine fuel treatment. Then I would check with your Suzuki dealer. I have one dealer locally that carries Mercury, Evinrude and Yamaha outboards. He recommends its use in all of them. I do have a Suzuki dealer located about 15 miles away from me( he is located on the other side of Middle River) and if you would lie I could give him a phone call and ask what they suggest.

As for the idea that it is better to have a full tank that is a wrong choice these days. More ethanol fuel makes water a bigger problem. Fuel issues have changed and if the politicians get their way we'll be forced to run E15 or worse, that will be even bigger problems in the outboard world.

16. mikesxpress
    The laws of physics hasn't changed.
    The average bass boat fuel tank has approximately 2.70 square inches of exposed surface area at the fill hose/vent. A less than full fuel tank (example: 25 gallons surface area from a 24"X36" tank) would have 864 square inches of exposed fuel. With less than a full tank you offer that much more opportunity for moisture absorption as that is what ethanol does when exposed to the atmosphere. Keep the tank(s) topped off to the neck.

As far as reading what the MFG is claiming, that is subjective at best.

Features
    Cures and prevents most ethanol problems
    Makes all engines start easily, run smoothly; improves performanceRemoves and prevents gum, carbon and varnishWorks in all engines and in all fuelHelps prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout fuel as submicronsizeddroplets that are safely eliminated while the engine operatesStabilizes fuel; helps rejuvenate old fuel1 fl. oz. treats 6 gallons of fuelReduces smoke and all other emissionsKeeps fuel delivery system clean
    Directions
    INITIAL DOSAGE: Add 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) for every 3 gallons (11 L) of gas.
    REFILL: Add 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) for every 6 gallons (22 L) of gas.Always add Star Tron just before each fuel fillup. Remove cap and pour the prescribed amount
    into tank. Overdosing is not harmful.

*I like the overdosing is not harmful part... 1 fluid oz for 6 gallons. That's gotta be some powerful stuff to treat 6 gallons of fuel with one oz. But you can dump the jug in there and it's OK!!! Come on folks..........read this stuff.

You can make your own determination based on the MSDS for Startron.

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/c...atment_SDS.pdf

To determine composition of any product, look on the MSDS section 2 Composition, information on ingredients.
    95% of the product is listed as Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light.They can call it what ever they want in text here but the
    CAS# 64742-47-8 listed tells you what it really is.

Here is where you get the CAS info:
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

Yep. Your reading it correctly. The product contains 95% deodorized kerosene.
    The remaining 5% is also kerosene/kerosene.

17. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Been using a product for years called PRI-G without any problems.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

18. mikesxpress
    Larry get the MSDS, application/dosage, and warranty data on this PRI-G stuff and lets see what this looks like.

19. Banned
    Kevin, keep your fuel fresh and go fishing. Im with Mike about all the fuel/ethanol treatments. Only time prevents phase separation. The older the fuel the more likelihood of ethanol to absorbe moisture particularly in hummid climate. About the only thing we recommend is sea foam to keep fuel components clean and prevent carbon deposits. Your motor has a knock sensor and the first sign of any power reduction would be of octane being too low. Because of the knock sensor a 4 stk motor wont blow up like a 2 stk motor. You will notice a reduction in power and the first thing to think about is how old is the fuel. Fuel system service would be a wise decission at that time.

20. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Larry get the MSDS, application/dosage, and warranty data on this PRI-G stuff and lets see what this looks like.
    This is all I could come up with: http://priproducts.com/retail-consumer/faqs/ Do you have any type of chemical breakdown for Pri-G?

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast