03 521VX Transducer question

I just purchased the Lowrance hds gen3 boat in a box kit. I will be installing myself. Can anyone help me with the proper location for the Totalscan transducer on the transom. I know about having to level it for my float angle once installed. I would just like to hear from someone that has this already where they mounted theirs to not run into any problems. Thanks

2. Member
    Contact Randy at precision sonar. He told me what was best for mine.

3. Member
    thank you

4. Member
    I used the transom setback one for my LSS-2

http://www.transducershieldandsaver....lowranceeagle/
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Mounted mine on holeshot plate on jackplate , no problems for 5 years.

6. Member
    Mounted mine directly on the bottom of the setback with the back end flush with the transom and the wire running up thru my jack plate. Only thing I had to do was "flip" the transducer in my settings. I have had absolutely no problems with it.

7. Member
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    I second the hole shot plate and/or on the jackplate location. Been using it for years without issues. You get a little protection from debris in this location, flexibility to adjust the angle, and you won't be kicking yourself in a few years when the next new transducer thing comes out with different hole locations in your fiberglass.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince521VX View Post
    I just purchased the Lowrance hds gen3 boat in a box kit. I will be installing myself. Can anyone help me with the proper location for the Totalscan transducer on the transom. I know about having to level it for my float angle once installed. I would just like to hear from someone that has this already where they mounted theirs to not run into any problems. Thanks
    Vince, just replied to your PM, hit me back and happy to walk you through the Lowrance updates I did on my 06 520VX. Thx.
    2006 Ranger 520VX HPDI 225
    HDS Gen3 12 on console & bow
    Dual 8' PP Blades

10. Member
    Thanks guys. So mounting on the holeshot plate/ jackplate will let me have depth on plane. I am trying to decide whats the best option here.

11. Member
    Thanks guys. So mounting on the holeshot plate/ jackplate will let me have depth on plane. I am trying to decide whats the best option here.
    It probably will not.

I use a traditional transducer in the bilge area for running and I run an older SI transducer on the plate that's not designed for being used on plane.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

12. Member
    Ok thanks for all the info. So does anyone have a totalscan only on the back that they use on plane? If so where is it mounted?

13. BBC SPONSOR
    In order for the total scan to work on plane it will have to be mounted low, have installed some under the livewell intake/drain, next to the drain plug for the boat. Most people choose not to do so as it usually gets broken when mounted there. Do yourself a favor and at least buy the spring back bracket from transducershieldandsaver.com or do it "correctly" and mount a transducer in the boat hull and mount the totalscan to either the underside of jackplate or use transducershieldandsaver, jackplate side mount that will also put it at the correct angle for best performance.

14. Member
    How is it "correctly" if doing it that way, I have to switch sources all the time? What is the point of the totalscan then?

15. BBC SPONSOR
    How is it "correctly" if doing it that way, I have to switch sources all the time? What is the point of the totalscan then?
    The totalscan is pointless for a lot of guys. It is near impossible to mount it in a place where you can get it to work on plane and not get interference with the water or get broke if you hit it on a stump or a floater. There isn't a real need to switch back and forth between just leave it on the transducer in the hull. Most buy either ss3d and in hull xducer or ss and in hull. Aluminum boats have no choice and that's where the totalscan is ideal.