New Mercury four strokes

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us//outboard-motors/Fourstroke-V6-Outboard-Motor

• Is a 475 pound 225 4 banger too much weight for my boat. I've been hearing rumors and these just showed up today at the Miami boat show.

__________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

2. Member
    Very disappointing to see they didn’t have a supercharged 250 under 500 pounds.

3. Member
    This was the first of several announcements happening in 2018 from Mercury.

I thought they were pretty impressive. All motors a naturally aspirated. 475 is definitely not that heavy and comes with a 1.85:1 gear ration lower. Wonder if they have one with a sporty in the works.

5. Member
    These are v6 3.4 liter, not 4 cyl.

If a sporty boots up these are what our Allison’s ordered. I’d hate to go backwards in hp though. Need at least a 250 at this weight

6. Member
    It all comes down to rpm's..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSmile View Post
    It all comes down to rpm's..
    Yep, and with the rpm limiters these have, I'm not interested in having to use a 33-34 pitch prop.

8. Member
    I heard all the parts are not interchangeable with older motors. They designed these to be simple and robust. I believe that means all new lower units if you go this route.
    They did stress this was just the first round in 2018 and the inference I believe is that a 250 version will be forthcoming.

Bad news for the Optimax. It looks likes they are going away.
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    I heard all the parts are not interchangeable with older motors. They designed these to be simple and robust. I believe that means all new lower units if you go this route.
    They did stress this was just the first round in 2018 and the inference I believe is that a 250 version will be forthcoming.

Bad news for the Optimax. It looks likes they are going away.
    they wont turf the opti until the 4 stroke demand forces them. But ya' writing is on the wall, if these pan out. A 475lb. V6 4 st. Is something to be able to live with.

I survived a coned lower many years ago...I prefer a sporty but time will tell if we get what we want. 475lbs is a good start now for 7k and not 1.85 gears and 250/300hp lol.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    I survived a coned lower many years ago...I prefer a sporty but time will tell if we get what we want. 475lbs is a good start now for 7k and not 1.85 gears and 250/300hp lol.
    If they can slap a supercharger on this thing and at least get the R's to 6500 I think this could be a good solution. I'm skeptical it will happen, but the Verado started at 275 as a 2.6L and is now at 400+. As they phase out the 250xs and proxs, I think they have to bump this thing up to 250+ to satisfy the bass guys, single engine center console guys, and pontoons. You could probably run like 2 pounds of boost and get to that 250 mark still. That being said, the sho may be a better platform with the extra cubes. However, if they add a sportmaster to this package it just might work.

12. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Merc is still behind Yamaha is 4 Stroke tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Merc is still behind Yamaha is 4 Stroke tech.
    What makes you say that?

14. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Yamaha is years ahead in 4 stroke design and testing due to building and racing motorcycles, so they have a big head start.

15. Member
    By that logic maybe Mercury has the advantage. They have been building 4 strokes for performance large V bottom and Cats for a long time. Unlike motor cycles they don't shift and are warter cooled like our outboards need to be.......http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/#engines

16. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Yeah, but Yamaha learned how to keep the weight down.

17. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I agree with Rebel.....Merc needs to put the Pro 4 stroke on a diet before I would hang one. And if they were able to take a sporty that would be even better.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Yeah, but Yamaha learned how to keep the weight down.

The new Merc's are lighter than the SHO by 20 pounds. I don't expect that the new Mercury(3.4l) will be as strong at the low end as the SHO (4.2l), we will see. They haven't announced what will happen with the larger outboards so I am just guessing here but they might try to raise the cubes up a little to compete directly with the SHO. They could go up in weight a little and still compete with the 250 and the Yamaha 300 is 567 pounds so I believe Mercury can win that matchup too.

Right now the 250 and 300Xs are both safe but when and if they announce a larger block big motor that may change.

They did say that with these new motors they did not forget the performance crowd. I expect a new sporty coming out soon too.
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    The new Merc's are lighter than the SHO by 20 pounds. I don't expect that the new Mercury(3.4l) will be as strong at the low end as the SHO (4.2l), we will see. They haven't announced what will happen with the larger outboards so I am just guessing here but they might try to raise the cubes up a little to compete directly with the SHO. They could go up in weight a little and still compete with the 250 and the Yamaha 300 is 567 pounds so I believe Mercury can win that matchup too.

Right now the 250 and 300Xs are both safe but when and if they announce a larger block big motor that may change.

They did say that with these new motors they did not forget the performance crowd. I expect a new sporty coming out soon too.
    I'm pretty sure the SHO 200-300 is only 505 pounds in a 20 inch. I agree with you on the bottom end. Seems like the old saying there's no substitution for cubic inches definitely comes into play with a naturally aspirated motor. Add forced induction and that changes things. Maybe that's what they have planned. The RPM range and gear ration are not each others friend when it comes to running a motor high with a sporty. That motor would have to turn at least 7k with that gear ratio. I wonder if they went with a 1.85:1 to make up for loss of bottom end torque? See lots of promise but, definitely falls just short.

20. Member
    7 K on the an XS or a pro XS version with sporty would be pretty close match to a older promax I would think. Which would be enticing? I don't know if I could go backawards in HP on my xb21, but it might be very nice on the 20 footers....7K would allow small enough props to be fun to 90 I think..