Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minn Kota Ultrex on a RT188

Has anyone put a Minn Kota Ultrex on their RT188? I am having mine installed tomorrow. If you have one, can you provide some insight on how you like it? Anything to be aware of prior to using it?

Thanks,
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

2. Member
    I have one on my 2017 RT188C. I love mine. Takes a little getting used to but doesn’t take long. Just make sure you calibrate it once you get it on the lake for first time. It is easy to do.

You will like it especially the spot lock. Anchor almost anywhere at anytime.

3. Member
    Love mine. Do a search on Ultrex in this forum. There's a system setting that controls the Spot Lock adjustment speed that needs to be turned down to -2 for a 188. I can't remember the name, but it starts with Boat.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    I'm jealous. That is all. I have only had my Fortrex for about a year now and I'm already drooling over the Ultrex. Thing is awesome to fish it!
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Have one on my 2015 RT188, absolutely love it. As GeauxTide suggest turn down the boat scale setting to -2.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

6. Member
    i have one on my 2015 RT188. You Tube is your friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by gtfd455 View Post
    Has anyone put a Minn Kota Ultrex on their RT188? I am having mine installed tomorrow. If you have one, can you provide some insight on how you like it? Anything to be aware of prior to using it?

Thanks,
    You're killing me...
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

8. Member
    Thanks for the advice. 60 degrees today, won't be long and I will be on the water.

Best money I have spent for boating/fishing. Love the jog feature while spot locked. Cruise control while trolling or spider rigging is great feature also. Then while dipping trees here on Truman I can use the foot pedal like I always have with my Fortrex units.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

10. Member
    First trip with the new ultrex today. It was simply amazing. The wife was impressed also. Anchor mode kept us on our spot while we had 25 mph gust. Windy day and water is still cold, so no fish. Always a good day in February when you are on the water, even if you don't catch any fish. Going to post a few pics from my Lowrances which continue to give me a problem.

Ready for warmer water..

11. Member
    First trip with the new ultrex today. It was simply amazing. The wife was impressed also. Anchor mode kept us on our spot while we had 25 mph gust. Windy day and water is still cold, so no fish. Always a good day in February when you are on the water, even if you don't catch any fish. Going to post a few pics from my Lowrances which continue to give me a problem.

Ready for warmer water..
    Did I tell you how jealous I am? lol. What's wrong with the Lowrances?
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

12. Member
    Are you guys getting the 45 inch.

13. Member
    I put 1 on my Xpress early Dec. I hate it. It has been way to cold to think about going to the water.NOW weather is breaking a little warmer I BREAK MY LEG!!! Now couple more months before I get to use it.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

14. Member
    There is alot of artifact on my console unit. Sometimes it is clear when idling and sometimes there is so much artifact you could not even see a fish. Hope to post pictures soon.

I bought the 45", today was first day out with it. We were in some rough water a few times and at least on two occasions it did come out of the water. I still have move adjustment left to lower it if I need to.
    Thanks,

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Have one on my 2015 RT188, absolutely love it. As GeauxTide suggest turn down the boat scale setting to -2.
    I'll be ordering a similar sized tin rig within the next few months...it will also have the Ultrex. I'm wondering what exactly is the jog / boat scale setting? What does the numerical value relate too...size/weight of the boat...length of the boat...speed of the jog?

16. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I did and love it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyfrommo View Post
    I'll be ordering a similar sized tin rig within the next few months...it will also have the Ultrex. I'm wondering what exactly is the jog / boat scale setting? What does the numerical value relate too...size/weight of the boat...length of the boat...speed of the jog?
    It has to do with the size/weight of the boat. Since the tin rigs are lighter than the bigger fiberglass boats it needs to be scaled down. When it is on spot lock and it senses it needs to move it will not provide too much force and then have to reverse itself and go back the other direction. I recently changed mine as recommended and it seems to work better especially when there is not much wind.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TellicoTom View Post
    It has to do with the size/weight of the boat. Since the tin rigs are lighter than the bigger fiberglass boats it needs to be scaled down. When it is on spot lock and it senses it needs to move it will not provide too much force and then have to reverse itself and go back the other direction. I recently changed mine as recommended and it seems to work better especially when there is not much wind.
    Got it...thanks.

19. Member
    There is alot of artifact on my console unit. Sometimes it is clear when idling and sometimes there is so much artifact you could not even see a fish. Hope to post pictures soon.

I bought the 45", today was first day out with it. We were in some rough water a few times and at least on two occasions it did come out of the water. I still have move adjustment left to lower it if I need to.
    Thanks,
    Did you turn down your sensitivity and adjust?
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

I am considering one for my RT188 but am concerned about the mounted height on the bow and the amount it extends over the port side gunwale when stowed. Someone who has one on an RT 188 please post pictures.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast