New Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 stroke

I just noticed on Mercury's website they have a new 150 Pro XS 4 stroke I wonder what's the difference between the regular 4 stroke and this new one.

2. Member
    About 300 rpm's and a sticker.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Little more than that... just a few of the highlights include:

-60amp Alternator with Idle-Charge Battery Management
    -Dual Water Inlets (has low water inlets in nose of gearcase for elevated running)
    -Higher RPM Range (up to 6000 RPM's)- Different PCM Calibration
    -2.08 Gear Ratio

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I’m curious of added cost over the standard 150 and when they will be available?

5. Banned
    Where are you finding that model in 4s ?

6. Banned
    Found it ...I hope it don't have the" NewCoke" cowling!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    Where are you finding that model in 4s ?
    Just announced this morning.

Same type of cowling as the current 150 Fourstroke (with a very nice-looking ProXS Decal).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I find it odd that Merc is using the 2.08 gear ratio in the 150. That is the same gear ratio Suzuki uses in the 250SS. I know many have had trouble propping those motors.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawglip View Post
    I find it odd that Merc is using the 2.08 gear ratio in the 150. That is the same gear ratio Suzuki uses in the 250SS. I know many have had trouble propping those motors.
    The problem with the Zukes is the diameter, not a lot of props that size out there. I'm assuming the new Merc uses the same props as the original 150, just different pitches.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

10. Banned
    So...has anyone here had the old merc 175 2s ..then repower to the xs 175.....was it worth it ?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    The problem with the Zukes is the diameter, not a lot of props that size out there. I'm assuming the new Merc uses the same props as the original 150, just different pitches.
    Will actually run most of the same props used by the V-6 Optimax ProXS engines... Tempest, Fury, Bravo, Trophy, Enertia, etc.

12. Member
    I have a 2010 150 Optimax in need of repair but I am also looking and wanting to repower. I own a 2010 Nitro Z7. I can go up to 200 hp on my boat. Will I notice a big performance increase with the new 150 ProXS or should I stay with a 2 stroke and go 175-200 ProXS.

Thanks

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either go 150 ProXS Fourstroke (that's a great option), OR put in an order for a new 200 Fourstroke.

14. Member
    Thanks, any idea of when the new 200 XS would be in stock?

15. Member
    I would really like to put this new 150 on my boat but I don't know if I want to repower or sale my current boat and buy a new boat.
    Last edited by Javelin 180; 02-20-2018 at 01:28 PM.

16. Banned
    """"but my boat is only rated for a 135 """" those are "start at " numbers in these parts....

Does this new 150 pro xs four stroke replace the current/old 150 four stroke? Or will both be available in the future?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    """"but my boat is only rated for a 135 """" those are "start at " numbers in these parts....
    That's exactly how we look at it down here if a 135 is good a 150 should be great �� Always push it to the limit.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    I would really like to put this new 150 on my boat I definitely want to repower but my boat is only rated for a 135 And I know back in '02 the 135 and 150 wax basically the same motor and the same weight I guess I'm at a crossroads and don't know what to do.
    If your boat is only rated for a 135, then it's not acceptable to install an engine with greater than 135hp.

Doing so is not only illegal, it can have some serious legal ramifications if the boat is ever involved in an accident (regardless of who was supposedly at "fault"... any decent attorney will have a blast with the "wanton disregard for rules, laws, regulations and the safety of others". And unfortunately- this DOES happen.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarks View Post
    Does this new 150 pro xs four stroke replace the current/old 150 four stroke? Or will both be available in the future?
    As of this time, BOTH.