Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The weight is accurate. Engine was designed for best economy, torque AND lightest weight in it's class. And yes... there are 4 cylinder models in that class.

Might try some curiosity on before you set your mind. I think you'll be quite surprised if you get to test-run one of them.
    Oh, I’m curious enough just not what I was hoping to see and I do struggle with the looks. The door on the top to check oil is interesting for sure. I think you mentioned the new 150 has some improved low speed charging, if I recall. Do these have that as well. Seems like that would be handy for those of us that idle and image a lot but don’t spend nearly as much time on plane.

As much as I’d like a 175 fourtroke on my boat it will be nearly impossible for me to justify getting rid of a perfect functional Optimax. Especially since I’ll only keep the boat about 5 more years at the most. If I buy a new outboard in that time it will be on the transom of a duck boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Word I’m getting is the bass boat specific models are going to be aluminum alloy.

3. Member
    Mercury's ridiculous comment on best in class displacement is a huge turn off for me. Enough to say no money from me. What class? Why hide? Marketing nonsense is all it is.

I do have a concern with it starting at 175 hp and going to 225 and with it being DOHC. I think Merc's smaller displacement, yes I said it, and DOHC is peaking the HP relatively late for the design and confining to a max of 225 OEM hp out of the design. I haven't seen if it has variable valve timing or not but I do not think you will get a safe tune out of this engine over about 260hp. REMEMBER you will have chicken Merc dealers bad mouthing any tunes or mods to your engine. I do like the mention of closed loop fuel monitoring. I tune all my EFI engines myself via laptop. Any engine I can connect to I tune myself. I see a market here.

Expectations: Larger displacement of similar design covering 250-350 hp range. Think 4.3L... ;-) Of course, this will be after a bunch of these small displacement engine chuck pistons into the lake and they learn from it.
    2012 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2012 Mercury ProXS 250 w/ Fury 3 26

4. Member
    I would have liked to see a straight six. Bring back the tower of power with a retro styling.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Meh. Disappointed that the 175 is not on the 3.0 block. Not a ton heavier but still not what I was hoping for. Also ugly as homemade soap. Worse than the G2 I think. Guess I’ll stick with my 150 Optimax or go to a 175 SHO. I’ll be upgrading in a few years so I’ll guess I’ll be goin SHO.
    My sentiments as well regarding looks. The stealth fighter has been retired and current stealth technology has left the faceted angular look behind. Interesting Mercury didn't bring in a 175 based on the 3L block which I'd have thought would have been a cost effective approach.

Am staying with my Optimax too, it runs good and I can look at it without thinking "ugh". My boat, however, will never wear anything but black.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123