Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida

175, 200 and 225 ONLY

These motors are as ugly as the G2 motors!! What were they thinking
    But at 475lbs for a 3.4 liter V6

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...Outboard-Motor

2. Member
    Think it’s pretty cool looking
    no supercharger on this one is appears. Verado will remain king at altitude even with the additional weight.

I'm ok with the looks, HP is not suppose to be pretty. 475lbs makes it look alot better. Course I don't mind the looks of the G2 either. I see there are some color option available, plus ability to customize your cowling. Wonder if manufacturers will jump on that. Curious what the price diff will be. imagine its gonna be more then the Verados.

Wonder when they will be available to order? Hopefully Step 2 is a 250 Pro XS model.
    Last edited by BMCD; 02-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Given the original R&D Platform, there are likely several more "logical" steps in the platform to come.

This new engine line (which began with the 150 Fourstroke) is the reason the 4 stroke forum was started.

Pricing (MSRP) is very much in line with the Optimax model (200/225)... definitely less than the Verado 6 cylinder.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Why no 250?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Good to hear Don, cheaper and lighter then the competitor.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Sweet looking and the weight is perfect

9. Member
    I like it. Looking forward to the performance numbers. I know the G2's are a powerhouse and are doing well, but I think Mercury has taken a better approach by going the 4 stroke route.....time will tell.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

10. Member
    Don/others, will it run properly at full potential on 87 octane?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it will. 87 Octane fuel.

With 3.4 liters, there is lots of room for growth. 250, 300, etc. Looks great. 1.85 gears though would that mean repropping if repowering from same HP i.e. 1.75 gears?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not necessarily... will likely prop very similar to the current model 3L's.

14. Member
    And if Edwin Evers and Van Dam test drove it a while back, you can almost count on them announcing a 250HP model. Those guys wouldn't be interested in anything less.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

15. Member
    Finally a backwards compatible repower option for those wanting a 4 stroke. From what I'm reading no new guages or controls required. Just hang and go.. 225 optimax with oil tank for sale.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

16. Member
    Great looking engines, glad they went with an angular style. At the presentation he stressed there were more to come for 2018. A 250 seems likely at least.

I did not think much of the verado when it first came out. after owning a 350 verado for 15 months I love it. If they run good the looks will grow on you.

Meh. Disappointed that the 175 is not on the 3.0 block. Not a ton heavier but still not what I was hoping for. Also ugly as homemade soap. Worse than the G2 I think. Guess I’ll stick with my 150 Optimax or go to a 175 SHO. I’ll be upgrading in a few years so I’ll guess I’ll be goin SHO.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    Will be interesting to see what Merc will have for the bass market. Evidently these engines are aimed at the offshore, saltwater, pontoon market. Merc claims the largest displacement 200HP engine @ 3.4 liters "in it's class". The bass boat aimed 200 HP Yamaha SHO is 4.2 liters and the Yamaha 200 HP offshore is 3.3liters.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Meh. Disappointed that the 175 is not on the 3.0 block. Not a ton heavier but still not what I was hoping for. Also ugly as homemade soap. Worse than the G2 I think. Guess I’ll stick with my 150 Optimax or go to a 175 SHO. I’ll be upgrading in a few years so I’ll guess I’ll be goin SHO.
    Have fun with buying all new controls and the more $$$$ sho motor. Damn you bass guys are crazy obsessed with looks. Would rather have it look cool than perform better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast