Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Was wondering if they would be hard to prop like suzukis.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

2. Banned
    The looks suck ...like kissing your sister....oh sorry I'm 2 far north to be cracking jokes....lol

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    With 3.4 liters, there is lots of room for growth. 250, 300, etc. Looks great. 1.85 gears though would that mean repropping if repowering from same HP i.e. 1.75 gears?
    More than likely they will turn more rpm (than the same hp Opti)... so it might work out that the same prop works well, you just get a better holeshot
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Meh. Disappointed that the 175 is not on the 3.0 block. Not a ton heavier but still not what I was hoping for. Also ugly as homemade soap. Worse than the G2 I think. Guess I’ll stick with my 150 Optimax or go to a 175 SHO. I’ll be upgrading in a few years so I’ll guess I’ll be goin SHO.
    No replacement for displacement either....

It'd be nice to see a 6500 RPM 250 and 300

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    More than likely they will turn more rpm (than the same hp Opti)... so it might work out that the same prop works well, you just get a better holeshot

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Have fun with buying all new controls and the more $$$$ sho motor. Damn you bass guys are crazy obsessed with looks. Would rather have it look cool than perform better
    Which is why I said I’d probably stick with the Optimax. When I upgrade it will be a new boat with a SHO, not a repower. And yes, looks matter. I fish for enjoyment so why buy something I think looks bad?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    No replacement for displacement either....
    If your only intent is peak HP, yes. But there are other things that matter as well that often means a smaller engine fits the need better.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

If your only intent is peak HP, yes. But there are other things that matter as well that often means a smaller engine fits the need better.
    Not trying to argue with you but what things would those be? Weight is not a big enough factor to even worrg about 475 lbs for the 175 v6 and the pro xs 150 is 358. Negligable at best. You have been pushing for the 175 on the 3.0l I4 platform and thats fine but a v6 of the same hp will outperform it by alot especially a DOHC v6 that thing as i can imagine will flat run.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    I'd like to see the torque curve of each compared to the current 2-stroke Pro XS's...if the same or better I then want to know how soon I can get one with a jet foot. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 200 Pro XS and with these being lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient it's a no brainer...but the low end torque is a must for the jet.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Not trying to argue with you but what things would those be? Weight is not a big enough factor to even worrg about 475 lbs for the 175 v6 and the pro xs 150 is 358. Negligable at best. You have been pushing for the 175 on the 3.0l I4 platform and thats fine but a v6 of the same hp will outperform it by alot especially a DOHC v6 that thing as i can imagine will flat run.
    Yeah, I know you’re not. Size and weight. Also perhaps efficiency but I’m not an automotive engineer. Perhaps I only wanted 175 HP. Can I do it in a smaller, lighter more efficient package in the 3.0L block than I can in the 3.4L block? Maybe, I don’t know. Perhaps with the 3.4L block limited to 175HP they can create crap tons of torque that lets me swing a really big wheel. Maybe the weight difference is nothing but with a 175HP motor being aimed a 18’ boats I’d think going smaller and lighter would be best.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I really like the looks of the new 4 strokes. I wonder if the 250 and up will have a little more displacement? Eitherway I'm sure they will perform very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I really like the looks of the new 4 strokes. I wonder if the 250 and up will have a little more displacement? Eitherway I'm sure they will perform very well.
    I was wondering that too. Something to make 250 and above.

I looked up the 175 SHO and it is listed as heavier than the new Merc. That has me scratching my head a bit. A bigger V6 is lighter than the smaller I4? Interesting. My pessimists side has me thinking the 475lbs came from the marketing department and is not accurate. The worse thought is it’s that light but at the expense of durability.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I was wondering that too. Something to make 250 and above.

I looked up the 175 SHO and it is listed as heavier than the new Merc. That has me scratching my head a bit. A bigger V6 is lighter than the smaller I4? Interesting. My pessimists side has me thinking the 475lbs came from the marketing department and is not accurate. The worse thought is it’s that light but at the expense of durability.
    The weight is accurate. Engine was designed for best economy, torque AND lightest weight in it's class. And yes... there are 4 cylinder models in that class.

Might try some curiosity on before you set your mind. I think you'll be quite surprised if you get to test-run one of them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Several questions keep coming up...'why no 250'? Well...remember what was stated in the release "This is Step 1 of what's coming in 2018'. Step 1 is the base foundation of the 'concept'. Step 2 & 3 will most likely be what is really the game changer for us Bass guys !!!!
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

15. Member
    Wonder if the MercMoniter will work with these?

Why wouldn't it? It works with the latest and greatest Verado. I'd bet on it

Quote Originally Posted by red186 View Post
    Wonder if the MercMoniter will work with these?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Why wouldn't it? It works with the latest and greatest Verado. I'd bet on it
    There was a video posted by a merc rep stating these motors will work with tradition opti controls as well as digital Verado if your pocketbook allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Have fun with buying all new controls and the more $$$$ sho motor. Damn you bass guys are crazy obsessed with looks. Would rather have it look cool than perform better
    I represent that remark. I’m a bass guy and run a Yamaha. I have no problem going with a Mercury and could careless about what’s out back as long as it RELIABLE! I’ll be do for a re power in a few years so I’ll be keeping a close eye on Mercury.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

U think the 250 will be announced this weekend?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    The new 4 strokes are priced virtually the same as the Optimax currently. And yes, the weight is exact at 475

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast