Ranger RT trim tabs?

Who has cut these off? Any noticeable effects other than not spraying the motor? I have paint flaking off my motor above the anti cav pate around the trailing gear case nut. Merc say its cav burn, I say BS. Had to replace my sons cowl due to paint flaking off. This part of the motor is out of the water during high speed runs. 2016 75 with 51 hours on it, warranty until 2024.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

2. Member
    This has been discussed many times. Search is your friend.

Based on reports I have seen discussed here, taking them off will make it extremely hard, perhaps not impossible, but definitely hard to tune the setup so that you can trim the engine out without the boat porpoising.

4. Banned
    they are there for a reason.

5. Member
    Search isnt working on my phone, so sorry. Merc is replacing my gear case. They tried to blame the peeling paint on the tabs. My boat basically runs on the foot at wot, I have very little boat in the water when trimmed up.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white

6. Member
    What Skeeterbait said.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    My boat basically runs on the foot at wot, I have very little boat in the water when trimmed up.
    Don't fool yourself into thinking there's not a lot of boat in the water. These aren't padded hull boats... there's a lot in the water. Get someone to film you driving by at water level if you don't think so.

8. Member
    I have, thank you.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white

9. Banned

10. Member
    Just do like I did and hang a Sho on the back and outrun that spray .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Just gonna throw this in the ring.

Wonder what change in water spray there would be if you grind/file a radius on the edge of the tab pointing towards the motor.

I can't see putting a radius on the tabs effecting the porpoising issue, still plenty of tab to do the job, but it might allow the water to roll off just enough to make a less spray. Maybe do both edges of both tabs. Sometimes a slight change will allow water to roll away and it might help.

Another thought is a hole or two in the tab to allow a little water to push threw, I would think it would still catch plenty to create the intended drag.

I would do it where the radius falls off the trailing edge of the boat, kind of like a half radius.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23