Standalone Panoptix only questions

Hi guys,
    I am thinking about purchasing a Garmin for my bow for just panoptix. I know most people recommend the 93sv, so I think right now that is my front runner. Is there any advantage to purchasing a higher end unit?

Does the 93sv make the most sense, or would i be better with something else? 942xs, 1022xs,
    Is the Echomap plus 93sv or echomap chirp 93sv the one to get?
    what Transducer should I get? ps 21, 22, or 31?
    Is there a Bow mount that will be clean and functional that will hold both the HDS9 and the 93sv(or other unit)?
    How well does panoptix work with the ultrex?
    Does anyone have any picutres of a 9"garmin mounted next to an HDS9?

Current setup:
    2017 skeeter
    hds 12 at console,
    hds 9 at bow on BBT Mount
    MinnKota Fortrex (hopefully upgrading to Ultrex in next month)

It will be only used for panoptix at the start, but I may sell my HDS9 and HDS12 and swap out with comparable Gamin units.

Thanks

Get the cheapest unit you can in the screen size you want that will work with the Panoptix transducer you choose.

Panoptix does not show detail so even a 7" screen is fine

94sv at Bass Pro for $599 is best deal now.

3. Member
    I think a problem that some people run into is that their first thought is minimize cost for just Panoptix only. Currently that would be an echomap CHIRP with a 7 inch screen or one of the earlier compatible models like 840 or echomap 70s or dv. Some of these have been available used recently for a song. When you do that though, that's what you've got. Panoptix only. Then people often want more functionality or connectivity. The echomap CHIRP 93sv is a nice unit with great functionality but no sonar sharing. It's standalone when you buy it and always will be. The echomap PLUS 93sv will have limited connectivity with the next software upgrade. The connectivity will be there but only with another echomap PLUS unit. That's not much of a handicap. It's a handicap if trying to connect it with older or what will be newer units. I would not get the 942xs or 1022xs. You are moving up the product line with these but I consider both to be great second units where another unit with more functionality is the primary unit. They will show you anything the other primary unit can do, like a 7610xsv or 7410xsv

Unless you are going premium, the echomap PLUS 93sv is the way to go. If you are certain to stay with Lowrance you could drop to the echomap CHIRP stuff. If you might get rid of the Lowrance units, your decision point is now. If you go with the echomap PLUS then later want to go premium, they won't talk to each other.

The PS22 is the one to get. I don't know about Ultrex. Others may be able to comment on that.

The 7400/7600 units are still the flag bearers. The biggest advantage is that they have two transducer ports in addition to the two network/Panoptix ports. That is a hefty box and all the internals make it a top performer. The only Lowrance still on my boat is an HDS5 connected to the 200/83 xd and set on 83 only. One glance to see all around the boat in a very wide cone. I have to use something else to isolate the location and catch them, but it's handy for the one glance.

If you don't need the 2 transducer ports the just announced 1242xsv Touch looks tough and is priced well.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Thats a heck of a deal at basspro, I will have to take a look at it.

At this point I would imagine that I would convert my other units over to Garmin sometime within the next year(probably the 1242xsv units). I dont think I would need 2 sonar ports, or even share sonar between the units. I would however want to share waypoints, and quickdraw maps if possible. Would the 93sv get me that?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am thinking about purchasing a Garmin for my bow for just panoptix. I know most people recommend the 93sv, so I think right now that is my front runner. Is there any advantage to purchasing a higher end unit?

Does the 93sv make the most sense, or would i be better with something else? 942xs, 1022xs,
    Is the Echomap plus 93sv or echomap chirp 93sv the one to get?
    what Transducer should I get? ps 21, 22, or 31?
    Is there a Bow mount that will be clean and functional that will hold both the HDS9 and the 93sv(or other unit)?
    How well does panoptix work with the ultrex?
    Does anyone have any picutres of a 9"garmin mounted next to an HDS9?

Current setup:
    2017 skeeter
    hds 12 at console,
    hds 9 at bow on BBT Mount
    MinnKota Fortrex (hopefully upgrading to Ultrex in next month)

It will be only used for panoptix at the start, but I may sell my HDS9 and HDS12 and swap out with comparable Gamin units.

Thanks
    the gpsmap units can Bluetooth with your iPads. Not just see the screen, but full control of the unit. You could put as many on your boat as you want. This is big for me as I run it from the console on the iPad, and fish it from the bow using the display.