Bladed Jig Rod Kistler/Dobyns?

Looking for a new bladed jig rod.

I'm my arsenal is about 90% kistler 10% dobyns.

I'm looking at the Kistler Feel n Reel 7'3 Heavy

And the Dobyns 736 Glass

Which one should I get and why?..would also like to use it for ploppers, doubtful I will use it as it true cranking rod

2. Member
    I have the Dobyns 735 glass and fish mostly 3/8 bladed jigs with it. It is a great rod for the technique. Lots of give in the top section but also alot of power. You might check out the Dobyns Store site and look at the mislabeled rods. You might find a deal on the 735/736 you are looking for.

3. Member
    My next rod will be the reel n feel for no other reason than I love my kistlers. I've got 2 cranking and 1 spinning helium 3's and need a rod for medium cranks, swim&bladed jigs, and medium flutter spoons. Figure the reel n feel would handle all

4. Member
    Feel N Reel, hands down. The KLX Blades, Chatter, and Buzz rod is phenomenal as well. I really like the KLX model!

5. Member
    I prefer the dobyns champ 765 glass

6. Member
    Dobyns 736 cb glass. it is better than the 765 cb glass (which is my favorite rod, but more suited to cranks) for this application. Purpose built for bladed jigs 3/8oz and up, this thing is awesome. It is also my plopper rod, in addition to other things like glide baits and the occasional secret swimbait. I can't recommend this rod enough.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Dobyns 736 cb glass. it is better than the 765 cb glass (which is my favorite rod, but more suited to cranks) for this application. Purpose built for bladed jigs 3/8oz and up, this thing is awesome. It is also my plopper rod, in addition to other things like glide baits and the occasional secret swimbait. I can't recommend this rod enough.
    I was fishing my ploppers on a Champ XP 734C but I've tied one on to at 736CB because I think it will be great. Haven't fished it yet but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    My next rod will be the reel n feel for no other reason than I love my kistlers. I've got 2 cranking and 1 spinning helium 3's and need a rod for medium cranks, swim&bladed jigs, and medium flutter spoons. Figure the reel n feel would handle all

THIS

9. Member
    Feel n reel will be much more sensitive, and lighter, if that matters to you. Both are good matches.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

10. Member
    My intiial impressions from another thread on the Dobyns, thread linked below.

"Mine finally arrived yesterday and I was able to compare it to the 765cb
    glass and 705cb glass. While the 736 is a power heavier than both rods, the big difference is where the tip ends and the backbone begins. The tip section is definitely shorter on the 736 than the other two rods which gives it a little different casting action. Weight seemed to be similar to the 765 and heavier than the 705.

I took it to the little neighborhood pond with a 3/8oz. chatterbait and a 3.8 kietech trailer. I was a little worried it would be too heavy of an action to launch the bait, but the tip is perfectly suited to that weight. I ditched the trailer and still had no problems, so this rod will be pretty versatile. Turns out the pond has some grass in it so I was able to do what this rod is built for...it didn't disappoint. The backbone comes on quickly enough that ripping the bait out of the grass isn't a chore. Sensitivity is good, plenty enough to feel the vibration of the jig, ticking the grass, and most importantly, when all of that stops and gives way to a muted pull. I didn't know there were bass in that pond, but I set the hook anyways and the found a nice 2.5 LM on the other end. Next cast, a 3! Both hit it in classic chatterbait style, engulfing the whole thing without much of a tick at all and the tip allowed them to get a good mouthfull before the rest of the rod loaded into the hookset. Despite the heavier backbone, this rod still had a nice parabolic bend and fought them well.

After that, I tied on a big walking bait (just under 1oz. I think) and flung that around a few times. I really liked the way this rod was able to handle it, and the tip was great for walking. I'll have to try it on a boat to be sure, but I think the 736 might be perfect. The bait is too much for the 705, and while the 765 is great at casting it, the rod is just a touch too long for walking sometimes.

My overall impression is that this rod is a purpose built chatterbait monster, exactly as advertised. While that is kind of a niche, it is still versatile enough for other techniques such as spinnerbaits, stick baits, smallish swimbaits, and traps in grass. For pure cranking, the other CBglass rods in the Dobyns lineup are probably better at handling treble hooks in open water or wood cover. In grass, this is going to be hard to beat. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I need to fish with it more to try different weights and maybe some deeper crankbaits."

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=714631&highlight=736cb+glass

After catching a lot more fish on the rod, the first impression was accurate and it is an awesome chatterbait rod. That being said the specs on the Kistler also look about right. Without using one I wouldn't be comfortable saying it has a similar ratio of tip/backbone, but the description sounds good. Is the Kistler lighter and much more sensitive? I have a hard time believing that without some specs, since the are both described a glass blended rods.

2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Got the Dobyns 736CB glass last week for chatterbait..

Just cant wait to throw it in the water to see what it has to offer :)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    Feel N Reel, hands down. The KLX Blades, Chatter, and Buzz rod is phenomenal as well. I really like the KLX model!
    that klx blades, chatter and buzzbait rod had my attention recently. I went with a 765 Dobyns graphite rod because my primary use was lipless cranks with braid around glass. like the 765 for open water chatterbaits.

I do find that the 765 can sail on me. Too long for me if targeting laydowns
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

The 7'6" H Kistler Feel-n-Reel is 4.44oz. I'm betting the 7'3" Kistler is well over an ounce lighter than anything comparable from Dobyns. I have not fished with the Dobyns though, so I can't say one is necessarily better than the other, but the Kistler Feel-n-Reel is the best composite rod by far I have ever fished with... and no, I am not sponsored by anyone! I just own a couple Kistler Feel-n-Reels.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    The 7'6" H Kistler Feel-n-Reel is 4.44oz. I'm betting the 7'3" Kistler is well over an ounce lighter than anything comparable from Dobyns. I have not fished with the Dobyns though, so I can't say one is necessarily better than the other, but the Kistler Feel-n-Reel is the best composite rod by far I have ever fished with... and no, I am not sponsored by anyone! I just own a couple Kistler Feel-n-Reels.
    Kistler will be at least 1oz lighter. I don't find the Dobyns a problem; though I thought I might.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947