Oil Pump Prime Sequence?

Gonna replace my compressor and I keep seeing people talking about doing a "Oil Pump Prime Sequence" what is this? Is it a must do? Thanks.

2. Member
    Yes. It primes the oil system to ensure proper lubrication. Make sure you replace the white filters on the compressor oil lines.

Is there a procedure on how to accomplish this?

4. Member
    You need a dealer with a CDS, or someone with scan tool.

Damn.............No way around that? Read somewhere you can tur the key on and cycle the shifter from fwd to neutral 5 times in 5 seconds and it would reset it to break in mod and engage the prime sequence.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Damn.............No way around that? Read somewhere you can tur the key on and cycle the shifter from fwd to neutral 5 times in 5 seconds and it would reset it to break in mod and engage the prime sequence.
    You "could" do that, but it will put the engine back in Break-In, requiring high-load (low trim) operation at high RPM's to expire the break-in clock.

Also consumes double-oil, and very likely fouls a set of plugs (plus potential for carbon build-up).

Short version: It may be more convenient today, but it's certainly not saving you money or hassle in the long-run.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Cool good to know just don't know where or how to find out where to take it for that to be done. Sounds simple enough. How long would this typically take to do Don?

8. Member
    5 minutes

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Called around and found someone local. Said to just stop by and he wouldn't even charge me to do it. Thanks for the advice all.

11. Member