Tin guys give me some education on this rig!

16 Ranger RT 188...115 SHO...dual console atlas micro hydraulic..no carpet...aluminum trailer.. gen 3 7 HDS console..some kind of lowrance 5 inch at the bow...cover..boat buckle tie downs. No carpet...minn kota rip tide hand control 24 volt..recess is there just covered up..plan a foot control swap if I buy it. Power pole micro pole...Pretty clean condition...a little wear on the seats...whats it worth?...and what else do I need to know about it...seems to me might have been custom ordered...dont see many in what is essentially an intercoastal version. Comments? Things to look out for? Its got a 15 inch 4 blade..didnt seem like much prop for this rig?

2. Member
    Prop is wrong but if I had a guess they were using it on some flats and wanted it to pop up on plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Prop is wrong but if I had a guess they were using it on some flats and wanted it to pop up on plane.
    Oh yeah...definitely...jack plate and a 15 4 blade...they were trying to get up in a hurry!

4. Not Banned
    I'm not sure what that motor should prop out at. Closest thing I can find is a 185 alumacraft with a 16p.

What most won't tell you is the SHO 115 and the grey F115 are the same motors with a different paint job. It's a $300 upgrade for the SHO.

5. Not Banned
    You might find different info doing a few different searches... Yamaha performance bulletins are what you want to look for.

The only thing I can tell you about that setup is it’s the most solid Aluminum boat I’ve ever seen. It fishes like your on an island. Buddy of mine has the same setup and has beat it to death......can’t kill it. I’m not a Tin boat or Ranger guy, but that’s an impressive platform.

7. Not Banned
    I'd check the value pretty close. A week or two ago the owners were saying they aren't holding value well in a thread on here.

This rig will end up selling for around 10k off of a new similarly equipped new one.

Anyone know if the rawhide material will also be under that passenger console?

10. Member
    I've got the same rig, less the jackplate and I have a single console. Try a Mercury Laser II, 20 pitch on it! Jaco's Marine sells them for about $400 online. Have a prop guy add a tiny bit of cup to that prop and you'll be good to go!

11. BBC SPONSOR
    These are great rigs, I have an RT198P. What kind of money are they asking for it?
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I wouldn't pay more than 21K OTD, but it looks like a nice boat. I really like boats that don't have carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post
    The only thing I can tell you about that setup is it’s the most solid Aluminum boat I’ve ever seen. It fishes like your on an island. Buddy of mine has the same setup and has beat it to death......can’t kill it. I’m not a Tin boat or Ranger guy, but that’s an impressive platform.
    I have had mine four years now with the gray F series Yamaha 115. Four years for me is a long time. This boat continues to please me, and like you say - they are tough.....
    I fish a lot....live on a lake part of the year and fish Florida part of the year. I use mine 12 months a year. It has never let me down - never.

I would get the hours off of the motor. The dealer can get that for you. Right off the cuff I would say it would be worth around 20-22K. It has a lot of options, but that doesn't mean that you pay for them on a used boat like a new one..... I would like to have that boat.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

If you don't buy it, please send me a PM and tell me where it is. Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

15. Member
    My 17 has a Merc, same colors and the rawhide interior. It’s under the passenger console area as well. The console just bolts in as an afterthought option. Mine was there from the factory, same colors as those. My seats still look new since it’s garaged. I have the Gen 3 HDS7 front and back and the MK 70 digital. Same boarding ladder. You’ll likely want a 300.00 LSS transducer if they didn’t add it. It’s not standard. I added a Merc SC Tach., cover, blah blah Mine was around 29K out the door. I don’t have a jack plate. The interior has held up great. I’m very pleased with it. You’ll want to remember to lay your rods reels up on the deck moving spot to spot. It makes more noise than the carpeted models on the water, mainly when running. I’ll take that for the ease of ownership.

I’d expect 10K less if I traded it today.

If you buy it I’d ask them to install a non directional steering wheel. That wheel always being off center would drive me nuts. Check the born on dates of those cheap trailer tires. I don’t trust those little guys but about three years.

PS I’m running a 20 pitch three blade laser.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 02-15-2018 at 07:54 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobasspro View Post
    I've got the same rig, less the jackplate and I have a single console. Try a Mercury Laser II, 20 pitch on it! Jaco's Marine sells them for about $400 online. Have a prop guy add a tiny bit of cup to that prop and you'll be good to go!
    You’re running a 20p laser 2 on a sho minus a jack plate ? Interesting but I guess that’s about right . I’m running a power tech equivalent 21p with the 4 inch setback on mine . Works for me ..

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Thanks for all the info.