Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I am finding it harder and harder to support the sale of semi-automatic AR's.... These situations sadly becoming a weekly event, we have to do something

2. Member
    Some are so quick to say ban this and ban that. What are you going to do when your favorite hunting rifle becomes a sniper rifle and must be banned for the good of society? What about when your favorite duck gun is on the ban list because it is a semi-automatic?

BTW, when we had the Assault Weapon Ban back in the 90's you could still buy and own the AR-15 but were limited to 10 round mags if they were manufactured after the ban went into effect. You could still own and buy high capacity mags if they were manufactured before the ban started.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    You don't NEED that bass boat you own either.
    Too many boating accidents on our public lakes? That is interesting, bass boats that are capable of speeds in excess 30MPH? Let's legislate a limit on horsepower and speed limits on any bass boat. Let's begin with a limit up to a 22' boat to 70hp and 50hp for those under 20' and if you own an outboard that exceeds this new limit, you will have six months to have them removed and confiscated at your government confiscation warehouse or face a felony charge punishable by no less than 10 years in federal prison. You will be compensated by your government for the excess HP outboard by what is deemed fair by your government. No one needs a bass boat with a 250 HP motor that can reach speeds in the 80MPH range. Oh, and let's make sure that anyone that has a bass boat have a permit to operate said boat that has been vetted by a government control center. If this legislation can save one life, then why would we not do this?

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    How about this. It looks like the shooter was reported to the FBI prior as well as the Vegas shooter.

How about, if you get reported to the FBI, and they feel that you might be a risk, then they can come take your weapons while they investigate you. And then all the rest of you "hunters" can keep your AR style rifles high capacity magazines. Lets start with that.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    There's a difference between a WEAPON designed to be more efficient at killing people vs. a VEHICLE used for transportation or hobby. If you can't see the difference, then maybe you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. Because obviously you don't respect it.
    Thanos was the hero

7. Member
    Obviously this issue is complex. It can't be solved by a single simple solution like banning assault weapons or spanking more kids. Society has changed, so blaming it on bad parenting is ridiculous. I had crazy kids in my High School just like each of you probably did, some had good parents and some did not. After Columbine this type of mass shooting became a trendy thing for the mentally unstable kids to fantasize about. Once this devil was released, it became a rush to kill as many classmates as you can (thus the use of the AR rifles that were specifically designed for that purpose). Saying this didn't happen when we were young is a cop out, we had bad parents, crazy kids and access to some weapons but no one really thought about doing it. Now add social media where young adults can bully others with impunity and you have a volatile cocktail.

Simply put, we have the same percentage of children with underlying mental health issues but we have exacerbated the problem by:
    1) not improving mental health services to meet the new challenges (see 2-4 below)
    2) adding social media where shaming and bullying thrives
    3) more national media coverage to give them fame
    4) some breakdown in traditional parenting
    5) easier access to more efficient weapons that do more damage in a shorter time

So far we have chosen to only counter this threat by increasing school security and adding better training to our teachers & first responders. In this case it sounds like all of them did an excellent job of doing exactly what they were trained to do, but we still had mass carnage. Until we have a coordinated effort on all 5 underlying issues (yes even on the access to weapons), we'll likely see this horrible trend continue.

8. Member
    In terms of securing schools, I think schools should go to mandated uniforms. This certainly wouldn’t be a total solution but with uniforms, faculty and students could spot someone that doesn’t belong. Now someone could buy a uniform or make one but this still would add another layer of difficulty for someone to access the campus.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    There's a difference between a WEAPON designed to be more efficient at killing people vs. a VEHICLE used for transportation or hobby. If you can't see the difference, then maybe you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. Because obviously you don't respect it.
    Tell that to the people that were killed by the Home Depot truck.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Still don't know why that people on here would rather discuss banning the tool used and not what can be done to find the cuase.
    The cause was found. The writing was on the wall and ignored. Kid was already banned from school. He was already thought to be a threat. I read somewhere kids had the opinion that if anyone was going to shoot up the school it would have been him. His social media posting confirmed he was a whack job. So much for "see something say something" 50 years ago, the kid would have been institutionalized and or never been allowed in public again unsupervised.

My deceased brother was born mildly retarded and had a severe behavior disorder. He had no concept of consequence for any of his actions good or bad. He just went about life doing whatever popped into his mind. By the time he was 14 he had unintentionally tried to drown me, had stolen multiple cars, killed a few animals, the list goes on. My dad kept our guns stored in his office and not in the house. Were someone to put a gun in my brothers hand, he would have used it with not a care in the world. At 14 he was institutionalized in private facilities, even thrown out of one of them because they couldn't handle him. Spent the next 20 years of his life with 24/7 supervision before he passed away.

The problem is our society has progressed over the years with some goofy belief that everyone is the same. That everyone deserves to walk the streets. That people aren't whack jobs, they are just misunderstood and deserve the same chances as everybody else. The kid in Florida, the guy in full body armor who gunned down the Chicago cop on Tuesday, child molesters, rapists, and even my own flesh and blood brother are/were messed up in the head have no business walking the streets with the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
    Yep. The 800 pound gorilla. Too easy access to rapid fire weapons. In no other western country does this happen 5 times a year. They got the same kids, same nutjobs but not mass shooting after mass shooting
    We will propose arming all the teachers then arming all the kids. Locking Down the school and armed guards at every exit. Public executions or whatever ? We will throw out NRA stats or some article from website we never heard off.
    But never no talk about the real issue.
    To quote an old bumper sticker, Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than my firearms.

Now that we have that out of the way, in the past, people who were deemed to be a threat to themselves or society were kept safe from themselves as was society. Nowadays, they are medicated and allowed to remain amongst us. If you think banning assault weapons is the answer, I suggest you spend some time in any metropolitan area on the southern border. On just about any evening you can hear full auto gunfire in the country on the other side that has banned anything more than a shotgun for its citizens. We have laws against murder, assault and terrorism, there's even a federal law that prevents bringing a firearm onto school property, so with that in mind explain how more laws will stop this from happening. Also remember that the worst terrorist event in US history was facilitated by a simple box cutter.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

12. Member
    I own hand guns and I carry a S&W Bodyguard. However I fully support the ban of assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
    I am willing to give up another freedom to end this insanity and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    Really, why because you disagree with his opinion? We get it, you think guns are bad. That’s cool, it’s your opinion. That’s what’s great, we can have them and guns in our country.
    You are mistaken. I don't understand his post at all so it's hard to agree or disagree with him. Signed, Jim (from the Live Free or Die State).

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    I am finding it harder and harder to support the sale of semi-automatic AR's.... These situations sadly becoming a weekly event, we have to do something
    Agreed. Scared white guys getting a "freedom" boner with their AR's. It's time to move on from that BS.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

15. Member
    So based on my comparison of fast bass boats to our discussion, you would give your support to our government to confiscate weapons I might own? Go ahead and report me. McCarthyism lives on.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David g View Post
    Too many boating accidents on our public lakes? That is interesting, bass boats that are capable of speeds in excess 30MPH? Let's legislate a limit on horsepower and speed limits on any bass boat. Let's begin with a limit up to a 22' boat to 70hp and 50hp for those under 20' and if you own an outboard that exceeds this new limit, you will have six months to have them removed and confiscated at your government confiscation warehouse or face a felony charge punishable by no less than 10 years in federal prison. You will be compensated by your government for the excess HP outboard by what is deemed fair by your government. No one needs a bass boat with a 250 HP motor that can reach speeds in the 80MPH range. Oh, and let's make sure that anyone that has a bass boat have a permit to operate said boat that has been vetted by a government control center. If this legislation can save one life, then why would we not do this?
    When was the last time someone took a bass boat to school and killed 17 people? It seems like it happens monthly with the AR platform... I own a DPMS Recon in a .223 but that doesn't mean that i'm ignorant to the fact that we are doing something wrong with our current gun law....Somehow over and over again, these psychopaths are obtaining these weapons a killing innocent kids. Everybody please be responsible, lock up your weapons, and never give your kids easy access to them.

I have a question for the people who want to ban ars. What are you going to do when the shootings continue after banning ar platform. I hope some of you don’t think the shootings will magically stop. They need to look into what really is the problem.

18. Member
    How about this. It looks like the shooter was reported to the FBI prior as well as the Vegas shooter.

How about, if you get reported to the FBI, and they feel that you might be a risk, then they can come take your weapons while they investigate you. And then all the rest of you "hunters" can keep your AR style rifles high capacity magazines. Lets start with that.
    Thats kinda what I was wondering. How was this kid not being picked up by the feds. He posted enough stuff on social media that people knew he was a nut. On top of that his web traffic was an instant indication he was a threat.

I wont get into the whole gun debate as no one who posts will "win". I will say im all for big brother monitoring and "acting" on situations like this. This kid should have been pulled out of his home and the entire family investigated with all weapons removed. Not sure of his family situation as I dont think that has come out yet.

If they want to monitor my web traffic by all means go ahead.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimoh View Post
    Ignorant

20. Member
    I've worked in public schools for 40 years. First of all, hard to blame parents. This kid had none. These types of kids too often come from parents who had them with no intention of raising them. The family unit in our society is too dysfunctional in too many cases.
    Most important, we have TO STOP giving these sick individuals the attention they seek by putting their name and face in front of the nation for a whole week. That goes to the media. Cover the event, but don't give these shooters the notoriety they seek. Most of the time kids like this are loners and outcasts who want attention. They know, live or die, everyone is gonna know who they are. Stop giving them this! Others like them(and they're out there) seek this and they eventually come to the conclusion that they too can become known to everyone. Kids like this do not grasp the finality of death. If we QUIT giving these shooters national notoriety, some of this would stop.
    I also believe that a percentage of staff in a school should be armed. One or two security officers cannot make a school building safe. Arm 10% of the staff. Make these paid extra duty positions. To get one of these positions, you must apply, go through training annually, qualify with a weapon, and do all the things you have to do to carry a firearm. This may not 100% deter these people, but it gives the folks in the building a fighting chance.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast