Any grill cooks out there

Wanting to try grilling baked potato's on my grill, seems like they are much better that way. Is there a secret to fixing them right, how long does it take on a gas grill at about 350?

2. Member
    Depends on the size of the spud...... You need to turn 'em regularly so it doesn't burn on one side.

I wrap mine in foil and put a little water in it so they don't dry out. I think it takes about 45 minutes + to completely cook. I just stick it 'em with a knife or a fork until they are soft all the way through.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I put two in the microwave for one Potato cycle then wrap them in foil after piercing the skin with a fork and brushing olive oil on them then on the grill for about 20-25 mins. Give them 10 mins and then toss on your steaks. That's what works for me. I'm a medium rare guy.

Olive oil , sea salt and wrap in foil. Check for tenderness by feel.
    アルは、非常に良い人です。

5. Member
    I cut them in half and put olive oil and salt and pepper all over them and put them on the grill cut side down first with no foil. About 450 degrees and flip them at about 10 to 15 mins. Brush the olive oil, salt and pepper mixture back on them when I flip them and about 10 more minutes and they are done. We like them this way and it gives the skin some crunch.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

6. Member
    Ive never cared for potatoes on the grill that were wrapped in foil. My preference is to get the small fingerling potatoes and coat with with olive oil and seasoning. Grill over open fire.

7. Member
    Are you shitting me Clarke? Forget the foil. Olive oil and sea salt crust them and place them on the upper rack.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Olive oil , sea salt and wrap in foil. Check for tenderness by feel.
    Or to mix it up, seasoned salt like Lawry's or something similar

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Are you shitting me Clarke? Forget the foil. Olive oil and sea salt crust them and place them on the upper rack.
    This except I use butter instead of olive oil.
    Love eating the skins.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdda9yh View Post
    This except I use butter instead of olive oil.
    Love eating the skins.
    The skins are really good with the olive oil as well, I usually put them in the oven with olive and salt not wrapped on 400* and they are really good.

11. Member
    Like chips.. slice your spud in 1” planks . Soak in water to get the starch out .. Olive oil with sea salt , I like Montreal steak seasoning .. both side and grill . Till golden brown ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    I guess iim gonna have to try that. The times ive had them in foil they were just like a typical baked potato. I always preferred the slightly crisp of the skins off a grill plus the smokey flavor.

13. Member
    The Best, scrub potato real good with vegetable brush under running water. Dry with paper towel and put on foil. Use cooking oil such as Wesson or Crisco not olive oil. Lightly rub oil on potato then sprinkle with sea salt, on grill it works best if you have a top rack. Put bare potato on grill with no foil, I try to cook around 400. About every 10 to 15 mins turn potato till the skin is cooked all over potato. It takes about 45 mins to 1 hr. Potato is done when you can squeeze in the sides and it starts to get soft. Give it a try you want be disappointed.

14. Member
    Kubota57 is dead nuts on this.

15. Banned
    I prefer yukon gold

16. Member
    I cut them in half. Cut a small channel down the middle and fill it with butter. Sprinkle pepper on it and wrap in foil but not tight and cook with the cut side up so butter will seep into. Usually grill them around 350-400 and takes can't remember how long they take, I just grab them on the side a little and squeeze, if soft they are ready. Tasty as a baked tater can be