Charger question

I'm looking at a used 395, 2002 model.

My question is when did charger quit using wood in their construction? Specifically the transom. Or are they still using wood today?

Also, did Charger have much of a stress cracking issue like champions did? Just curious.

Thanks

2. Member
    All boats crack - fiberglass is as bad as concrete!

3. Banned
    Not sure exactly what year Charger went composite. I know my 2001 Charger has a couple of stress cracks around the splash well area but nothing like the Champion I owned before it. The Champion had stress cracks everywhere.

4. Member
    I've owned Champions, and Stress cracks don't bother me as I am not a cosmetic person. Just trying to make an educated decision. My question still stands. 2002 wood transom or composite?

I'm interested just because ALL boats with wood in them are subject to moisture/rot issues as they age.

5. Member
    Charger went to 100% composite around 2006-7. A 2002 would definitely have wood in the transom, but with that being said, I have never heard of a Charger transom failure. My 2005 has wood and does not bother me one bit.

6. Member
    Thank you!

My old 2006 496 was all composite. I think that was the year they switched from wood.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    You should see the brand that says all fiberglass construction ,boy does it fall apart after a few years.Wood if sealed right like charger does it will last 30-40 years no problem.

9. Banned
    My 01 had wood and I agree with TOC. The way Charger layered everything and sealed it in glass I would take it over many "composite" transoms I have seen repaired.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    You should see the brand that says all fiberglass construction ,boy does it fall apart after a few years.Wood if sealed right like charger does it will last 30-40 years no problem.

Whats the first letter of this brand? I’ve been hearing rumors of this on a certain brand, I want to see if it’s the same one.

11. Member
    the fall of 2005 was when we changed you can tell because the badge on the rear says 100 percent composite ,and they are very right for many years charger used wood transoms but they were coverd and seald from water,the only way for our old wood ones to rot is to put a hole in the transom and not propperly seal it letting water inside.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robert m View Post
    the fall of 2005 was when we changed you can tell because the badge on the rear says 100 percent composite ,and they are very right for many years charger used wood transoms but they were coverd and seald from water,the only way for our old wood ones to rot is to put a hole in the transom and not propperly seal it letting water inside.
    Good point Robert. Not properly seal them will rot the wood in the transom. This has happened to other brands as well.