Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Hydro Tec....
    Would agree with Pat. Hydro tec would work wonders on that OX motor and that thing would really run then.
    the 203 boats are one of my favorites I tried to get my hands on one not too long ago that was cherry by the time I got things worked out on my end it was already gone.
    would love to have one

2. Member
    Hydro-tec has an 04 250 HPDI for $ 8k. You might see what they would give you for trade in on your motor.

http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/Outboards.htm
    2001 196 Elite- 200hp Optimax

3. Member
    I wouldn't trade a OX66 for a HPDI. Rebuild that OX66 and run it. If we all knew then what we all know now then we would have never traded our OX66s for the HPDIs but we all thought newer was better. You could rebuild it 4 times for the price of a new SHO. Hydrotec it and be happy that you saved a ton of money and have a very durable motor

4. Member
    Put a new merc.225 pro thank later go fishing

Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    I wouldn't trade a OX66 for a HPDI.
    I would based on fuel savings alone.

6. Member
    You're going to drop at least the same $5k on a different motor, not to mention shop time to switch motors, new controls if needed, etc. Like others have said, for the same amount (or possibly even less) I'd rebuild and know what I have rather than taking a chance on someone else's used motor. And I too would recommend Hydro Tec

7. Member
    I have a 203 with a SHO and i do not believe you would regret it. Problem is finding a 250 SHO currently.

NADA boat, trailer and trolling motor 6 -7k plus electronics I'd keep it rebuild or repower

9. Member
    Put another motor on it. If you go buy a new Charger 210 its gonna cost ya $65k. It is definitely worth rebuilding if you find a reputable builder. If you want a new motor on it...then go buy a new motor. Either way, you will get a lot more years on it and for a lot less money.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    I wouldn't trade a OX66 for a HPDI. Rebuild that OX66 and run it. If we all knew then what we all know now then we would have never traded our OX66s for the HPDIs but we all thought newer was better. You could rebuild it 4 times for the price of a new SHO. Hydrotec it and be happy that you saved a ton of money and have a very durable motor
    I disagree. I have a 2004 250 HPDI on my 1998 203 and it has been bullet proof. Great motor in my opinion. I had an OX66 225 prior to the HPDI and it was a solid motor too but I love the HPDI.

11. Member
    Try contacting South Shaver Marine in the Houston Texas area. All they do is repower with motors they get from dealers that take in on trade-ins. A good friend of mine replaced a Merc 200 EFI with one from there. He is still running it 9-10 years later. I upgraded my son's bass boat from a Yam 115 to a Yam 150 VMAX from there 7 years ago and it's still purrs like a kitten on his boat and runs in the 60's. He is a younger guy (29) and only knows 2 speeds WOT and WOT.
    They did excellent work on both of these boats and added a Jack Plate on my son's at the time.
    You might contact them and just see what they have. They are getting new ones in all the time. If I remember they come with some sort of warranty and they will tell you the hrs. and compression and type boat they came off of, ie fresh water or salt water.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    HydroTech
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Does block have a hole where piston/rod came loose?

What symptons did you have when it blew?

Your engine is an early-model 066 EFI model?

Reliability of 066 engines are higher than HDPI’s.

I would send to Hydrotec or Chris Carson Marine.

Make sure injectors are sent off for cleaning/calibration.

With good rebuild you should be good for another 10-15 years of use.

As long as you do not have issues with your hull, I would rebuild.

this is the bad piston...
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Give Mat and Wayne a call at Hydrotec

15. Member
    fix the current power head or re-power it. You couldn't pay me to get rid of my 98, 203 but thats just me.

16. Member
    Well after all your comments and taking in count that I love my champ... I will repower this boat with a Yamaha 250 HPDI 2004.... lets see how that works.... :)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanio1980 View Post
    Well after all your comments and taking in count that I love my champ... I will repower this boat with a Yamaha 250 HPDI 2004.... lets see how that works.... :)
    Just make sure your fuel lines are good and have no fuel restrictions...ethanol is bad on the fuel lines and a major cause of engine failure. Good luck on the new motor!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanio1980 View Post
    What do you want for the old motor?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    What do you want for the old motor?
    Im open to offers, the motor that I'm taking off has a lower unit from SEI still under warranty until october this year (7 complete months of warranty), I'm open to offers, I still dont know which prop I'm keeping because the new one comes with a 23p and I have right now a 25p, probably will sell the 23p and keep the 25p, trim motor on the old one work fine, no leaks, let me know if interested.

20. Member
    Not sure why you would buy an unknown (maybe also rebuilt?) 2004 engine to put on as opposed to pulling yours completely down to get an accurate rebuild cost and/or just doing it. You very well may be buying someone else's problems...
    If a rebuild is done correctly (Don't be cheap! Get good parts and injectors) it should last as long as long as it did the last time. As long as you were happy with the performance that is. Also, do NOT let 'somebody' rebuild it. Get it done by a reputable shop that has a good track record. I have seen and corrected a lot of half assed repairs from 'so and so' that 'so and so' knows that 'really knows his stuff'. The last one had THREE different people work on it because it was cheap for the owner to get 'so and so's' buddy, who "really knows his stuff" to work on it. What a hack job! Dangerous too, in that particular situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast