Thread: WHAT PROP PITCH

WHAT PROP PITCH

I am running a 25P on my 99 225EFI on a 99 Cobra Viper boat.
    I have a really hard time getting on to plane when I have a full tank of gas, or livewells full, or just a load heavier than only me.
    I have tried adjusting my vents. There is no combo that helps, from 1-2-3-0-med sized plugs/large plugs, etc... I either bog down really hard around 2400ish rpm until it FINALLY pulls over and drops down or the prop spins out if too much is taken out of the vents.
    Once I am up on plane, the boat performs good. I run about 5800 RPM and about 68MPH on GPS with a heavy load.
    Prop/pad is about 3.5" below on the manual jackplate.

So-- I feel like I need to experiment with different props. But I do not have the time, money, want to/desire, or convenience to buy and try, borrow and return, etc...
    I'd like to narrow down my options and see what prop I need to try and why?
    I have been told a 24P tempest plus.
    I've also been told to go to a 4 blade....but noone can tell me what pitch I should try.

Can you guys offer some options?

2. Member
    I had a Cobra 180 with a 175 and ran both a Tempest 25 and a Trophy 25. The Trophy was about 150 RPM lower on top end, but was 2 or 3 mph faster and the holeshot was a little better. Loaded with just me it ran 68 and 66 with a partner. It also handled much better with the Trophy. Dropping to a 24 will probably help your holeshot, but would likely also gain you 200 RPM on the top end.

3. Member
    Props get out of wack over time even if they still look good they can get water worn . For less money you can find a good prop smith and re gain a better hole shot and top end numbers . That is if your motor is 100% sound and strong . The only other thing is over time boats get heavy with water Intrusion into the foamed areas below deck making boats much heavier . That’s hard to get rid of then your only option is getting the next size smaller prop .

4. Member
    What prop is it and what shape is it in? You don't need a smaller prop because your maxed out on rpm's now at 5800. Does it blowout with all large plugs in it or is it still bogging down.

5. Member
    Prop is a 25p tempest plus.
    It still bogs with all large plugs. 2 Large plugs and one plug open makes it blow out.
    Motor has good compression. Reeds and injectors cleaned/installed last spring.

6. Member
    Put all large plugs in the prop take a 1/2" drill bit and open up one hole to 1/2". Large plug holes only measure .470" so drilling them out gives you more venting. If it helps open up another hole to 1/2" then a third hole if you need it. You can open up the holes in the plugs to 9/16" if needed and not hurt the plug.

7. Member
    Try 1 medium plug, 1 large plug, 1 hole open, if it still blows out use 2 mediums and 1 hole open.

8. Member
    My Tempest blows out on break over, and that is a common problem that can't be corrected with PVS plugs. Install the correct PVS plugs, so the motor will spool up at the hit (3500-4000), and just feather the throttle on break over.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    My Tempest blows out on break over, and that is a common problem that can't be corrected with PVS plugs. Install the correct PVS plugs, so the motor will spool up at the hit (3500-4000), and just feather the throttle on break over.
    This I have tried with 2 large plugs and 1 hole open, because it seemed to be the setup that best allowed to get up to RPM, but its not a simple feather for me. Its almost like there is too much slippage to allow it to break over easily. My best bet is just to throw someone up front until the nose sits down.

10. Member
    It's blowing out because it's over venting so put the large plug back in and drill it out so it doesn't bog down. There are two other guys on here who had to do that because they had the same problem you have not enough with the plug in but too much with it out.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBassCtchr101 View Post
    This I have tried with 2 large plugs and 1 hole open, because it seemed to be the setup that best allowed to get up to RPM, but its not a simple feather for me. Its almost like there is too much slippage to allow it to break over easily. My best bet is just to throw someone up front until the nose sits down.
    Sounds like your still over venting. Keep closing off the holes. You are trimming the motor completely down and tucked in during the holeshot, correct?