Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I believe I would take the truck back to the dealer and have it checked. I have a 2016 GMC and am totally unaware when the AFM goes to four cylinder until I toggle to a screen that indicates 4 or 8 cylinder. If I did not want the system to shift into four around town I would just run in M5.
    Same engine and system on my 2014.
    I can sometimes BARELY notice it on the highway when it goes to 4 cyl and back to 8 cyl, but have NEVER noticed it in town or city driving.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    Might I ask which one you have and where you got it? I have a 2011 and it started burning oil pretty bad. I don't drive it everyday now but would still like to get one and see if it helps.
    I only know of the range disabler that’s sold on eBay and Amazon etc for plug and play units .. start running some sea foam in your oil and gas to get your rings freed back up and cylinders cleaned up on the afm cylinders and get the unit and plug it in

Clicked over 82K on my ‘14 Silverado today. Have never been able to tell if it’s in 4 or 8 cylinder mode unless I look at the display.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    2018 and can't tell it's 4 or 8 unless I look at display. Didn't even know it had the feature for a few weeks

5. Member
    2014 Silverado - no issues at all.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt20xd View Post
    Have it on my 2010. It works as advertised. No complaints.
    Just have to unplug it every month or so as the factory system overrides it.
    why do you unplug it i never heard that it needed to be done ??,i have had mine in about 6 months

I have a Range Technology module on my 2013 Sierra. I like it. Lost just under 1 MPG on the highway if I leave it in. Lost no mileage towing, or around town, as best I can tell. I feel the difference mostly when towing, and in town.
    You can remove at any point if you’re going on a long highway trip.
    The only time I remove mine is if I’m going into the dealer for service work. A rare occasion.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    Might I ask which one you have and where you got it? I have a 2011 and it started burning oil pretty bad. I don't drive it everyday now but would still like to get one and see if it helps.
    i bought mine straight from them, do a search for a range disable,i called them, and they told me the ebay ones did not have life time updates and warranty but it was more costly like $185.00

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Just to piggy back your response.
    2014 model year was the all new 5.3. No oil consumption issues. AFM is a Non issue as well. The 07 thru 13 had oil consumption issues. The Range was designed to eliminate the AFM on those model years to fix the oil consumption problem.
    I have one on my 14 GMC and also love it. I do also have to unplug it every 30 days or so. No oil issues. Hated the sound of my duels when it kicked down to 4 cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    . start running some sea foam in your oil and gas to get your rings freed back up and cylinders cleaned up on the afm cylinders and get the unit and plug it in
    Do you recommend the 1oz per quart of oil it says on the can or a different amount?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

11. Member
    Have one on my 2016 Silverado

12. Member
    Like Renegade said, if your truck has the manual shift option, and most late model trucks do, use the M5 mode. When putting the truck into gear, go all the way to the M setting. On the shift handle, select gear 5. When it is set to M5 it locks out the V4 and stays in V8 mode all the time. If your highway traveling and reach enough RPM it will automatically shift into 6th gear. Not sure about the 8 speed trucks but you can sheck it and see if it works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12