Phoenix 819 vs Skeeter ZX200

I’ve narrowed my search to these two boats. Anyone own or been in both to give a fair comparison? Leaning towards the Phoenix as it appears to have better finishes compared to the ZX Skeeters

2. Member
    I'm a little biased, as I own a 819 and I've never been a huge fan of skeeters, but I've finished out of a co-workers 2014 zx200 about 3-4 times and I'm not impressed. The quality of the two are very similar, and I can't comment on price comparison, but the 819 fishes and rides like a 20 foot boat. Can't say the same about the skeeter.
    2015 Phoenix 819

3. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I own a n 18 1/2' Skeeter and it fishes great but the ride in the Phoenix is way superior to the Skeeter IMO. The 819 is going to have much nicer Southco latches and a roomier cockpit. It is also faster.
    Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 02-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I'm a little biased, as I own a 819 and I've never been a huge fan of skeeters, but I've finished out of a co-workers 2014 zx200 about 3-4 times and I'm not impressed. The quality of the two are very similar, and I can't comment on price comparison, but the 819 fishes and rides like a 20 foot boat. Can't say the same about the skeeter.
    Hmmm!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I came out of a Skeeter so I can give you my thoughts. I was very happy with mine and feel they make an awesome boat. The zx200 is a well designed good riding 19'er. Overall the trim details on the Skeeter are higher end and a little better looking (machined aluminum trim and flush molded plastics verses screwed on vinyl dash etc). The Skeeter is a very good riding hull and point and shoot driving, no chine walk. Some say they bounce a little but this is mainly due to trimning up too fast. The Phoenix is a little longer (its almost 20"), and has a little better ride but will have a little chine walk depending on setup. I like the Phoenix livewells better. Skeeter makes their own trailers and they are nicer than marine master IMO. I would think you could find a better value on the Skeeter simply because there are more of them around.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

6. Member
    I won’t compare rides as I’ve never ridden in a Phoenix. I will say that I’ve ridden in several Skeeters and liked them all.

I was asking your question several months ago and decided on the Phoenix solely because the skeeter won’t fit in my garage. I could get a Skeeter with hydraulic jackplate, power pole, and better electronics for same price as just 819 w/ second console.

The Skeeter gives you so much more value.

7. Member
    The Skeeter ZX does seem like a good value

8. Member
    With the 819 you are getting an oversized boat vs the zx200. Phoenix uses the same Hull for their 919 which is comparable to the Skeeter zx225. You could say you are getting a little bigger boat in the 819 apples for apples than the zx200. Skeeter kind if cheats when comparing to other brands. Those hull protrusions (not sure what they are called) that stick out in the rear boost their boats overall length compared to other brands. If you straight up compare the same HP rated models, the Skeeter will have smaller decks, and cockpit area than some competing brands. It will be hard to find much of a selection of Phoenix models in stock around the country right now, because Skeeter builds over twice as many boats per week (not all bass boats) as Phoenix. And if you have to have a Yamaha on a Phoenix, they are virtually no existent.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Skeeter makes their own trailers and they are nicer than marine master IMO.
    So they don't use EZ Loader trailers anymore? When did they start making their own?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    So they don't use EZ Loader trailers anymore? When did they start making their own?
    Think they started making their own last year.

I think the ZX Skeeters are the best value going right now - I will admit it was hard for me to not jump into one of those. Skeeter and Phoenix both make outstanding boats and I truly think you can’t go wrong either way. I ended up with the PHX mainly because I believe it’s the best rough water bass boat on the market.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

12. Member
    I had a ZX200 and will say a slight chop they ride good anything bigger they will beat you half to death. Phoenix will ride a lot better.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    I had a ZX200 and will say a slight chop they ride good anything bigger they will beat you half to death. Phoenix will ride a lot better.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I'm not sure what type of feedback you are expecting, but the OP asked for opinions on the Phoenix page. I'm assuming he asked the same on the skeeter page. The responses will naturally be much different on each of the pages for good reason. All boat owners will be biased. Some more than others, but all will be to some degree.
    2015 Phoenix 819

15. Member
    The skeeter isn't a bad boat. It can be drove pretty good in rough water and it will fish good, I think all skeeters fish good. Quality is good on both boats. I think the phoenix will be faster and ride better in rough water but the skeeter will be easier to drive wide open. I think if you ride in both on the same day you will pick phoenix. There's just not another boat that will beat their ride to me, maybe that charger 210 will compare

16. Member
    Thanks for all the replies, sounds like I can’t go wrong with either one. I’m leaning towards the Phoenix, comparable price with the options I want plus I like the fact I can choose my own colors vs the handful of skeeter color combos.