Thread: That's a Poke!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I really don't think he needed THAT much of an angle to make that shot but I could be wrong.
    Hi Mike.

Orange squares are in for a big surprise if'n they ever invade Texas!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    I really don't think he needed THAT much of an angle to make that shot but I could be wrong.
    I didn't put a protractor on my hacked out drawing or their pic lol, but the pic of them in front of the target tells their tale.

4. Member
    I didn't put a protractor on my hacked out drawing or their pic lol, but the pic of them in front of the target tells their tale.
    No, no, it's a very nice drawing.

Still not buying it lol. No protractor needed lol.
    Hi Mike.

That is impressive. Like already mentioned, I wouldn't be in the right county!

But (there had to be a but???) it's not like it was a sniper "one shot, one kill" scenario. It did take him 8 shots to hit the target (still impressive!), and it took Melton 37 shots (narrowed to 7 once proper load was determined) to hit his record shot - also impressive!

Just wondering if distance, and number of tries, and grouping of hits will figure into future "record" claims? Would make sense, as it would better relay skill needed to narrow in on target, and skill in repeat-ability.

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Actually needed a LOT of angle.

I'm sure I made some mistakes on this (maybe a bench shooter here can help), but a quick entry of some numbers in a ballistic calculator, using a 12" sight height and 1000 yard zero range, reveals a bullet 'drop' of 1,600 - 1,700 FEET at that range.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...php?t=3fb1220f

Who controls John Gill?

7. Member
    I did say I could be wrong
    Hi Mike.

If my math is correct...5,280 yards =15,840' / 3160fps = 5.01 seconds not 14.
    Anyway, heck of a shot.

Scope ain't nearly as jacked in his posed pic as it is in the target pic.
    Yeah, 3160 might be at the muzzle but I guarantee you it isn't at 3 miles or even 3 kliks

10. Member
    I would say the round had gone transonic/subsonic well before getting near the 3 mile mark. I would also venture to say that they were using bullets that are cut using a lathe to make sure they’re perfectly concentric and everything else. A lot goes into a shot of that nature.

My ballistic calculator says a Cutting Edge .408, 390 grain, MTH U02 bullet with a bc of .900 G1 and going 3,160 fps goes subsonic at 2,600 yds. At 5,000 yds (my ballistic calculator won’t go any higher) the bullet drops 1,673 ft and should have about 516 ft/lbs of energy. It is still going about 772 fps or slightly slower than a standard .45 ACP and take about 12.5 secounds to get there. Impressive...

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    At that distance your looking at 557 energy at that distance. Not sure that is enough to punch thru a jacket!!

Nice shot ever though he missed the red square, not sure what they judge this on, but he hit the paper, and thats more than I could do.

Kill shot, don't think so, off target and 557 energy which is less than a pellet gun??

Didn't a Military guy get a kill shoot over 2 miles not long ago, to break a record.

As for the Key hole, not sure that that mark above isn't a marker pointing out the bullet hole. I could get enough close up of the picture to tell for sure.

13. Member
    Just WOW. Incredible shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    At that distance your looking at 557 energy at that distance. Not sure that is enough to punch thru a jacket!!

Nice shot ever though he missed the red square, not sure what they judge this on, but he hit the paper, and thats more than I could do.

Kill shot, don't think so, off target and 557 energy which is less than a pellet gun??

Didn't a Military guy get a kill shoot over 2 miles not long ago, to break a record.

As for the Key hole, not sure that that mark above isn't a marker pointing out the bullet hole. I could get enough close up of the picture to tell for sure.
    If it hits the right spot, because no bullet will kill you if it doesn’t, 557 ft/lbs energy and a 390 gr bullet would most certainly kill you. Probably go straight through you, thats about the same as .357 Mag and a 158 grain bullet, 548 ft/lbs energy, at the muzzle.

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    If it hits the right spot, because no bullet will kill you if it doesn’t, 557 ft/lbs energy and a 390 gr bullet would most certainly kill you. Probably go straight through you, thats about the same as .357 Mag and a 158 grain bullet, 548 ft/lbs energy, at the muzzle.
    Sorry was thing Ft/sec I stand corrected

16. Banned
    I would say that particular bullet with that muzzle velocity(3160) probably drops below 2000 fps around 2500-3000 yards. At the distance he was shooting i would be surprised if it was traveling more than a 1000 fps at impact. Of course my experience is limited in shooting ammo this size and range as we all are. That bullet would have to have a muzzle velocity of 6500 fps at the muzzle to average 3160 for that distance so to speak.

17. Member
    If my math is correct...5,280 yards =15,840' / 3160fps = 5.01 seconds not 14.
    Anyway, heck of a shot.

Scope ain't nearly as jacked in his posed pic as it is in the target pic.
    thats muzzle velocity. You know in 3 miles the bullet slows up a little bit.

some of you guys are pure genius.

18. Banned
    Did the math on ballistics. His bullet only had to average 1,131.4 fps if they are correct in saying it took 14 seconds+ to reach the target. This ammunition is still suppose to be at supersonic speed at 2200 to 2400yards. Supersonic speed in only 1125 fps. So, according to this, his bullet was traveling at far less than supersonic speed. ?????? Just t 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    That target doesn't look like paper to me. Looks like a metal plate especially when you look at the hardware hanging it up. If it is a metal plate the impact looks reasonable.
    Your right it ends up it is A sheet of FRP it's like 1/8" fiberglass

20. Member
    The article below does a good job of explaining just one of the factors which go into making shots that transition from supersonic to subsonic. There is a point that the sound wave catches back up to the projectile and actually destabilizes it. The factors which have to be considered to obtain long range accuracy are many and the further you go the more effect each one has.

http://www.accuracy-tech.com/superso...bsonic-flight/
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast