Thread: That's a Poke!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hollandale, MS
    Posts
    22,675

    That's a Poke!

    New record... 5,280 yards...



    http://www.wideopenspaces.com/texas-...stance-record/


    Nice shootin', Tex!
    USexit

  2.  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Tennabama
    Posts
    1,735
    #2
    First off, I'm very impressed that he hit any target at 3 miles, that is a looooooooooooooooooong way. However based on what I see there, it looks like if he was shooting at a man lined up with the orange square that might be a miss based on what he is pointing at. Very close but I don't think that's a dead on shot. Not even saying I could put a round from a rifle in the same county as the target from 3 miles. I have no room to challenge this guys skill, I'm just questioning what the SEAL hit from 2.84 miles vs this shot is all.

  4. Member dean c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Humble Tx.
    Posts
    9,571
    #3
    I'm getting he was going for any part of the 53 inch target..incredible!
    2016 Ranger Z521c
    250 Mercury Pro XS/Serial #2B124174

    2017 Triton 18 TX Tin
    115 Mercury Pro XS/Serial #2B433623

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,465
    #4
    Good lord, look at his scope and base from the pic in the article. Talk about a lob shot, amazing.

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Tennabama
    Posts
    1,735
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I'm getting he was going for any part of the 53 inch target..incredible!
    Yep. I found the SEAL's shot of 2.84 miles, it was the same target and he hit it even further from the orange square near the edge of the target. I find it impressive to hit such a target at those distances, but I don't consider hitting such a large target a sniper shot. Still not saying I could shoot at any level with these guys.

  7. Member grayline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newnan Georgia
    Posts
    4,895
    #6
    I saw this last month Charlie Melton shot bounced thru the target not hitting the bullseye either by the looks of Mr. Poor his did too .Match grade rounds dont tumble in flight and a .408 round would put a hole about the size of a pencil thu paper

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Elm City, NC
    Posts
    5,982
    #7
    Congrats to him on his accomplishment. That is a long ways away for sure.

  9. Fishineer BleedingBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    High Point
    Posts
    1,277
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    I saw this last month Charlie Melton shot bounced thru the target not hitting the bullseye either by the looks of Mr. Poor his did too .Match grade rounds dont tumble in flight and a .408 round would put a hole about the size of a pencil thu paper
    That target doesn't look like paper to me. Looks like a metal plate especially when you look at the hardware hanging it up. If it is a metal plate the impact looks reasonable.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

  10. Member barkleyhawggitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    eddyville
    Posts
    4,361
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    First off, I'm very impressed that he hit any target at 3 miles, that is a looooooooooooooooooong way. However based on what I see there, it looks like if he was shooting at a man lined up with the orange square that might be a miss based on what he is pointing at. Very close but I don't think that's a dead on shot. Not even saying I could put a round from a rifle in the same county as the target from 3 miles. I have no room to challenge this guys skill, I'm just questioning what the SEAL hit from 2.84 miles vs this shot is all.
    would have been a hit on a fat dude
    Ranger Forever

  11. rotaredom-noN m.t.hands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    grant/guntersville, Al.
    Posts
    14,964
    #10
    incredible
    Warning: this product contains peanuts and gluten, and is best consumed utilizing plastic drinking straws

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Exeter,New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,081
    #11
    14 seconds of air time!
    Red Sox in 6!

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canton GA
    Posts
    1,361
    #12

  14. Moderator JerryT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    90210
    Posts
    16,114
    #13
    Nice shot Congrats !! ... from most of us

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    S.E. KY
    Posts
    1,850
    #14
    If my math is correct...5,280 yards =15,840' / 3160fps = 5.01 seconds not 14.
    Anyway, heck of a shot.

    Scope ain't nearly as jacked in his posed pic as it is in the target pic.

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    8,411
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Nice shot Congrats !! ... from most of us
    This.
    “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.”
    —Matthew 6:34

    Life without risk is not worth living. Jack Brown

  17. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    8,411
    #16
    Why is the scope sitting so crooked on the rifle?
    “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.”
    —Matthew 6:34

    Life without risk is not worth living. Jack Brown

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    8,411
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    If my math is correct...5,280 yards =15,840' / 3160fps = 5.01 seconds not 14.
    Anyway, heck of a shot.

    Scope ain't nearly as jacked in his posed pic as it is in the target pic.
    Is that 3160 fps the muzzle velocity? If so the round is slowing down the millisecond it exits the barrel.
    “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.”
    —Matthew 6:34

    Life without risk is not worth living. Jack Brown

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    S.E. KY
    Posts
    1,850
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Why is the scope sitting so crooked on the rifle?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. Member basscatcher89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, IL
    Posts
    6,601
    #19
    AT&T Reach out and touch.

  21. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    581
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    If my math is correct...5,280 yards =15,840' / 3160fps = 5.01 seconds not 14.
    Anyway, heck of a shot.

    Scope ain't nearly as jacked in his posed pic as it is in the target pic.
    FPS is measured at the muzzle and isn't consistent though flight. Judging by the "lob" angle of his rifle, that bullet lost velocity and was falling when it hit the target

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast