Anyone here have a Jeep Wrangler to tow their rigs?

I am considering a change from my Chevy 1500 Silverado Z71 to a Jeep Wrangler unlimited. However in just looking around at the ones I see in parking lots or on the road I do not see many with tow packages. Also I can't remember seeing any at the local ramps with anything other then a jet ski behind them. The specs show an average 18' Triton and trailer is 3100 lbs. Thats not loaded with gear and gas of course, and the limit of a new model Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is 3500 lbs. I'm looking to upgrade my boat to an 18' or even 19' sometime this year. I do not want to have an issue with trailers a boat of this size. I'm not worried about if it can pull it or if it can get it up a ramp. I'm worried about stopping it! short wheel base and something that big behind pushing it around. The local Jeep dealer is just telling me what i want to hear to make the sell. So I thought I would see if anyone here tows with their Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or if I should just stick with the Chevy. thanks!!
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS7 & HDI7

3. Member
    Saw one jerked off the road laying on it side by towing a not to big runabout.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Max towing on those is only like 3500 pounds with the standard only 2000lbs. Not really a tow vehicle.
    Remember, Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

5. Member
    Simply asking for trouble. A 18/19' boat can be a load for a full-sized truck in the right circumstances. Would not even consider pulling one with a jeep.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    I pull my Nitro Z18 with one. Definitely need the trailer tow package.
    2016 Nitro Z18 175 ProXS Atlas 8" 24 Fury

7. Member
    If you’re used to towing with a Silverado.....you’ll be EXTREMELY disappointed if you tow with a Wrangler. Like Catfan said...Not really a tow vehicle.

If you’re looking to downsize - get a midsize truck. Most of the midsize trucks have upwards of 7,000lb towing capacity and are built to handle that much. I have a 2016 GMC Canyon that I tow my Bass tracker 175txw - can’t even feel it back there.

The last thing you wanna do - is totally max out the towing capacity of your vehicle. You wanna have some lee-way for safety sake.

Stick with a larger, more powerful tow vehicle. The Jeep will be on the ragged edge towing your rig.
    Half the world's problems are caused by people not doing their jobs and the other half are caused by people minding someone else's business.

Well that settles that!!! thank you all for the reply's and why i love coming here for advice. Think I will stick with the truck and go to a 19' Triton.... the search is on.. hehe
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS7 & HDI7

10. Member
    I tow a tr186 with my dodge nitro, jeep liberty frame with the 4.0L engine and it will pull it but its a hand full. Ill be upsizing to a full size pickup next time around, i spend most of trip looking for the next gas station