24v Trolling motor low power need help

Minn Kota 24v trolling motor seems low on power, batteries 1 year old, check out at 24v with meter. There are two red power wires and one black ground going from two breakers to the front of the boat. #1 breaker reads 12v - #2 breaker reads 24v. The plug at front of boat shows the same readings. I'm out of ideas, I feel both breakers should read 24v. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    2000 ZX-185 Yamaha 150 EFI, 23m prop

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    One breaker should be 12 and the other 24. You have a 3 wire 12/24 setup. In reality, your higher voltage should be 25.3V minimum after charging. If less, you have a problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    It has 12.6v and 25.4v. Now I'm really confused if that reading is correct. Trolling motor on high only barely moves the boat at .5mph.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke14 View Post
    It has 12.6v and 25.4v. Now I'm really confused if that reading is correct. Trolling motor on high only barely moves the boat at .5mph.
    Take the prop off and have a look for line on the shaft. How does the connector at the front look? Try measuring the voltage on the connector with the TM on.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Banned
    Your motor may be toast. Mine burned out in less than a year.

6. Member
    It sounds like you have trolling motor wired to 12 volts instead of 24.

7. Member
    Trolling motor has been on the boat for 5 years. I'll take off the prop to check that. Any way to check if the motor is indeed bad?

8. Member
    Trolling motor has been on the boat for 5 years. I'll take off the prop to check that. Any way to check if the motor is indeed bad?
    Well....shucks....you didn't mention that!

But it would be a good check, did this just start having the issue one day??? Or do recall jacking with the wiring and then it started happening??

Good luck!

9. Banned
    If you actually have 24v at the trolling motor and you are not pulling the rated amps under load there is a good chance the motor is failing. Your manual should give you the rated amps. My 70lb is 42 amps and it was only drawing 30 under load. Pulled it down and found the armature was burned out.

10. Member
    What size trolling motor is this. MinnKota made a 55 and 65 this was 24V and now a 70 and a 80 that is 24V. The two motors are entirely different.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    74lb trolling motor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Well....shucks....you didn't mention that!

But it would be a good check, did this just start having the issue one day??? Or do recall jacking with the wiring and then it started happening??

Good luck!
    It just started happening, at first it would work normally for 30 min then slowly lose power. Now it's not good anytime.

13. Member
    It just started happening, at first it would work normally for 30 min then slowly lose power. Now it's not good anytime.
    In that case..it does sounds like a TM issue and not wiring.

Jonestrollingmotor is the man to help ya!

14. Member
    Sound like you been running your 24 volt motor on 12 Volts which cause it to draw more amps and possibly caused to armature to burn out.
    You had a 12/24 volt system. One will read 12 volts the other will read 24. I would get rid of the 12 volt system and just keep the 24 volt. Disconnect the wires and breaker. Replaced the plug and receptacle up front and wire it up. Wa la done.

15. Member
    If you have verified that you are in fact getting 24V to the trolling motor, then remove the prop and take ONE bolt out to check for water intrusion. Sounds to me like if it is a trolling motor problem and not a voltage problem, it could be water in the lower unit. Also, take the top off and look at the wiring connections. They are old enough that they could be burnt causing a voltage drop.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If you have verified that you are in fact getting 24V to the trolling motor, then remove the prop and take ONE bolt out to check for water intrusion. Sounds to me like if it is a trolling motor problem and not a voltage problem, it could be water in the lower unit. Also, take the top off and look at the wiring connections. They are old enough that they could be burnt causing a voltage drop.
    John
    Removed one bolt, dry, lots of black powder on the mid section of the bolt.

17. Banned
    Does it smell burnt?

18. Member
    Voltage checks on the batteries is in order. If you get half an hour good and then it goes weak, sure sounds like a battery or connection problem to me.

19. Member
    I had a similar problem. My agm batteries were less than two years old. I attached a volt meter and dc ammeter to the TM connector. I monitored the voltage and current while running the TM on high. The voltage dropped from 26 volts to 10 volts and the current dropped from 41 amps to 18 amps over 10 minutes of running. The off state voltage rebounded to 22.9 volts after a short rest from running. That is why it is necessary to measure the voltage while the TM is running. I had the batteries tested at a battery distributor. They showed good on a battery analyzer, but quickly failed on a long term load tester. Batteries can be baffling even to the battery experts.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200