2018 Sabre FTD vs 2017 and previous years

I'm interested to hear what's new on the 2018 or previous years. Any owner pictures would be appreciated.

Well, prior to 2018 there were two models, a Vision and the Advantage Elite. In 2017, they both had the FTD top cap, but were different with regards to standard vs options. Before 2017, the models were distinctly different in terms of the topcap. The FTD top was a step up from the standard top. The standard top had wider gunwales up front, so a bit less deck space. The front storage only had one box, and the cooler/step was a bit further towards the bow. The consoles were different, with the 17 FTD AE having the newer style console, capable of having up to a 10" graph, and the cafe style windshield (or at least mine came with the cafe style in April of 2017).There were differences in the aeration systems and a few other bells and whistles. The seats were different as well. I think the hulls were the same from the last time they tweaked it a little.

I ordered mine exactly the way I wanted it, though I did not buy every single option offered. Tandem trailer is optional and really not needed functionally, but if you like the look, it's available. I did not get lighted compartments, the night fishing package, etc. I upgraded the graphs, the trolling motor, and added a passenger console. I did get LED trailer lighting and dual LED backup lights. I also added a NMEA 2K backbone, and all the Hummingbird dongles and black boxes, along with the cable to the engine ECM to the backbone. One word of caution: the Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS/Gn2, even with all the accessories, will NOT read engine data, other than RPM and Engine Temp. It is NOT capable of reading engine hours, oil pressure, or whatever else the ECM is feeding to the NMEA backbone. You must move up to the Helix 10 for that information. I have a Yamaha SHO 175 on mine, which also costs more than the Mercury XS, but I wanted a 4 stroke, and my dealer is a Yamaha guy.

I'm sure I missed some stuff. There is nothing wrong with the older models from 2000 up, but the FTD was an upgrade until 2017.

The boat will run fine with a 150...it'll be a low to mid 60's boat. The 175 makes it a high sixties, low 70s boat. You're not going to get passed by many 200, or even 225 boats, other than another BassCat, an Allison, or a Bullet. The boat turns on rails, is a good, dry ride in relatively rough water...it's like driving a sports car. It fishes larger than you would think. It is my last boat, and I have absolutely no regrets with the purchase. I'm right at 70mph (69.8) with 30 gallons of fuel and all my tackle. I think I can get it to 72...I'm still fooling with the prop to pad and learning to drive the hull.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Well, prior to 2018 there were two models, a Vision and the Advantage Elite. In 2017, they both had the FTD top cap, but were different with regards to standard vs options. Before 2017, the models were distinctly different in terms of the topcap. The FTD top was a step up from the standard top. The standard top had wider gunwales up front, so a bit less deck space. The front storage only had one box, and the cooler/step was a bit further towards the bow. The consoles were different, with the 17 FTD AE having the newer style console, capable of having up to a 10" graph, and the cafe style windshield (or at least mine came with the cafe style in April of 2017).There were differences in the aeration systems and a few other bells and whistles. The seats were different as well. I think the hulls were the same from the last time they tweaked it a little.

I ordered mine exactly the way I wanted it, though I did not buy every single option offered. Tandem trailer is optional and really not needed functionally, but if you like the look, it's available. I did not get lighted compartments, the night fishing package, etc. I upgraded the graphs, the trolling motor, and added a passenger console. I did get LED trailer lighting and dual LED backup lights. I also added a NMEA 2K backbone, and all the Hummingbird dongles and black boxes, along with the cable to the engine ECM to the backbone. One word of caution: the Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS/Gn2, even with all the accessories, will NOT read engine data, other than RPM and Engine Temp. It is NOT capable of reading engine hours, oil pressure, or whatever else the ECM is feeding to the NMEA backbone. You must move up to the Helix 10 for that information. I have a Yamaha SHO 175 on mine, which also costs more than the Mercury XS, but I wanted a 4 stroke, and my dealer is a Yamaha guy.

I'm sure I missed some stuff. There is nothing wrong with the older models from 2000 up, but the FTD was an upgrade until 2017.

The boat will run fine with a 150...it'll be a low to mid 60's boat. The 175 makes it a high sixties, low 70s boat. You're not going to get passed by many 200, or even 225 boats, other than another BassCat, an Allison, or a Bullet. The boat turns on rails, is a good, dry ride in relatively rough water...it's like driving a sports car. It fishes larger than you would think. It is my last boat, and I have absolutely no regrets with the purchase. I'm right at 70mph (69.8) with 30 gallons of fuel and all my tackle. I think I can get it to 72...I'm still fooling with the prop to pad and learning to drive the hull.
    Excellent review.

4. Member
    Thanks, Midnight. I think you helped me with the color selection as well.