Cranking or Trolling Battery for Power Poles?

JL (Power Pole) recommends using the cranking battery. I already have a high amp cutoff switch, and the cranking battery is in my spacious bilge so this would be super convenient for install. However, I am always wary of adding battery draining technology to my starting battery. I am okay with it but wanted to get the opinion of others, as well as hear if anyone has had issues draining their starting battery under normal conditions? Installing on the trolling batteries (in 12v of course) would require another high amp cutoff and 10ga wiring to the front of the boat.

Thanks!
    I have a boat.

Cranking battery no issues.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    We talked about this over the weekend. I hooked my talons to the starting battery. It didn't cause an issue but here's how I thought about it this weekend. If I'm using my talons a lot I won't be using my trolling motor a lot and same the other way so it really makes more sense to hook them to the trolling batteries to me.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    cranking... do not wanna take away anything from your trolling motor batteries if you don't have to. A good cranking battery can handle poles, livewell pumps, a reasonable amount of graphs, (lol), cranking etc.
    For sure not worth the $ or effort in your case to go to your trolling batteries.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    A Battery regardless of deep cycle or cranking is only going to handle so much. The battery needs to be large enough to meet the demand you ask of it. I group size 24 more than likely is not going to cut it... Some guys with tons of Acc. need a 27 minimum. A good group 29 or 31 should be able to handle it.

It is hard to answer this question directly without knowing what group size cranking battery your running.