Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Surprised he has not noticed this many years ago. Had several LC's to do this several years ago. Probably seen over a hundred baits do this. Even seen some good balsa baits do this. Use to keep them as a collection but it got so big i just chuck them if they do not catch fish anymore.

2. Member
    In the past I have heated rattle traps in hot water on the stove top. It makes them run shallow over weeds and have caught a bunch of fish on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    I left a 3700 box full of rattle traps and red eye shads in the back of my Expedition on a hot summer day and I guess they must of had a hell of a party cause about 80% of them ended up pregnant. I went to the store and got a couple more plano boxes to put the babies in when they hatch. I shouldn't have to ever buy rattle traps again.

I knew a guy that used to boil his baits to get them to swell up. He said it gave the bait more action. IDK?

Many of my custom painted and photo finish baits have done this. Happens in Michigan just the same.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    If you leave a clear box of crankbaits in the sun you will have swollen baits. Some brands are worse than others. Had it happen to me.
    Good friend of mine washed his best friend's boat and vacuumed his compartments and left his tackle out while the boat dried. Many of the crankbaits and many were Lucky Craft swole up, some split. No good deed goes unpunished.
    Scott Martin can talk for an hour and say almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Itismemc View Post
    If your hard bait is swollen for over 4 hours you're supposed to call a Dr.
    Lol
    there is a big ole gal that works in my wife’ s office she said she can help that out too.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

7. Banned
    Expansion of the air trapped inside the hollow bait when heated by the sun in an enclosed box, greenhouse effect,causes it to expand and then set if the expansion goes beyond the elastic limit of the properties of the material the bait is made of.

Nerdy content alert...

I belive heat softens the plastic and expands the air inside, increasing internal pressure, so they swell up. I went looking for information to support my idea and found some interesting stuff.

I believe most crankbaits are made of ABS plastic. It can be made clear and opaque and is cheaper than polycarbonate. More importantly here is that temperature resistance of polycarbonate is higher than ABS. Vendors list a metric called deflection temperature which measures the temperature at which a standard piece of plastic will deform a certain distance under a certain pressure. They list the data at 2 pressures 66 and 264 psi. I doubt you can heat the air in a lure enough to hit 264 psi with the sun so the 66 psi data is more relevant.

Deflection temps at 66 psi
    Clear ABS: 180-200 F
    Polycarbonate: 280 F

I think you are going to have a hard time hitting almost 300 degrees in a boat or tacklebox but 180-200 seems possible. So, I think my theory is valid.

Irrelevant side note: Once swollen and cooled off the bait will actually have a negative pressure inside (same amount of air occupying a larger volume) so they could potentially implode.

Links: (I know you are dying to read up on this )
    https://www.hardiepolymers.com/knowl...-clear-winner/
    https://www.ineos.com/show-document/...docLanguage=EN
    https://www.plasticsintl.com/datashe...ycarbonate.pdf
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

9. Member
    Heat, bleedingblue's theory is correct. The negative pressure will be so low that they won't implode, but it does mean the bait displaces more water and has the exact same weight, ergo it will run higher and float faster. Could actually be good in some situations.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Banned
    Only have had LC do this

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itismemc View Post
    If your hard bait is swollen for over 4 hours you're supposed to call a Dr.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I knew a guy that used to boil his baits to get them to swell up. He said it gave the bait more action. IDK?

I read a story a decade or two ago about guides at lake fork intentionally leaving rattle traps on their truck dash to make them swell up. It gave them a new sound and it must have worked.

13. Member
    i've purposely left hard baits on my dash to change their color

They don’t run right… they don’t run the way they were designed to run, and they’re NOT going to catch fish like one that is perfect out of the pack.
    Huh?!?

This bait might actually catch ‘em better than one out of the pack
    Wait - but you just said...

But it’s DIFFERENT. Maybe you don’t throw them away, but you need to mark them so you know they’re different.
    Aahhh. Now you're making sense!

Lol.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    I left a 3700 box full of rattle traps and red eye shads in the back of my Expedition on a hot summer day and I guess they must of had a hell of a party cause about 80% of them ended up pregnant. I went to the store and got a couple more plano boxes to put the babies in when they hatch. I shouldn't have to ever buy rattle traps again.
    If your hard bait is swollen for over 4 hours you're supposed to call a Dr. Quote Itismemc

I microwave my hard baits to get the swollen shad look Quote Badfish.rb

These are really funny just had to give them all a rolling laugher

16. Member
    I heard a fat girl say once, she was not fat she's just hot!

BleedingBlue...I read it all! Thanks for the scientific explanation!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12