Falling out of the boat with an Ultrex

I was just thinking after reading other posts that claimed the remotes for the ultrex motors are waterproof that if one had the remote on a strap around the neck and happened to fall out of the boat, it could provide a way to bring the boat back to oneself while in the drink. Would be especially important if the constant on mode was in use. Not quite sure how far the range is for Bluetooth reception but would think it might have the distance capabilities to get the boat back and positioned so one could climb back inside for drip drying. Just one more reason to justify to SWMBO why an Ultrex is a need, not a want. What y'all think?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Unless it's rated IP68 or better, I wouldn't depend on it working after being submerged. Bluetooth range isn't enough to count on either. 30ft is pretty good in battery operated devices.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Yeah, this was a topic a few weeks ago that I believe then turned into a debate some how but hey, it's the BBC way.

I don't use auto pilot if it's rough water and I also make sure to clip the remote to my belt loop.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Unless it's rated IP68 or better, I wouldn't depend on it working after being submerged. Bluetooth range isn't enough to count on either. 30ft is pretty good in battery operated devices.
    The remote works A LOT further than 30 feet! I've tested it! It'll surprise you how far you can control all functions. Can't speak to how waterproof it is!

5. Banned
    what does one do....if they fall out of the boat and the trolling motors running? Channel your inner Michael Phelps and hope you make it to the boat before it runs into something? lol...never thought of this

6. Member
    So now you'll have a kill switch for the trolling motor as well as the outboards
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    So now you'll have a kill switch for the trolling motor as well as the outboards
    Honestly I don't see that it would be too difficult for MK to program the motor to shut off when at a certain distance from the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Honestly I don't see that it would be too difficult for MK to program the motor to shut off when at a certain distance from the remote.
    What if you leave the remote at home? Sounds like something my wife would do "hide the remote" like she does with the TV remote.
    I got nothin

That's like forgetting the car keys, only do it once.

I have wondered a few times what would happen if I fell out of the boat with the TM on Constant. I am surprised you don't hear bad things happening relating to that specific situation more often.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    Well I have almost fallen out of mine a couple of times due to not being prepared when it decided to adjust its location when on spotlock. I now try to keep the speed on a lower setting when using spotlock to keep it from moving so violent.

12. Member
    Effective range on the remote is very good. I tested my Ulterra (gen2) at home before my first launch and was able to deploy/stow the motor from 100+ft away. That is important because when I launch by myself I use that feature. I always assumed that should I fall overboard with the remote I would be able to 'call' the boat to come and get me. Its one of those experiences I hope I never need to test for real.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

13. Member
    Put it in a baggie.
    Wear your PFD.
    Be young.

Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    I have wondered a few times what would happen if I fell out of the boat with the TM on Constant. I am surprised you don't hear bad things happening relating to that specific situation more often.
    Have a gut feeling your fixing to start hearing of it happening a lot more----They have sold a ton of them this winter..

15. Member
    Sounds like it could be a movie script. Ghost boat drives itself all over terrorizing the citizens. Throw in a little sex, couple of cars, next summers drive in smash hit.
    Please release me,let me go.

16. Member
    I fell/dove out of my boat after a rod I kicked over last year when I was spot locked. Wind was blowing pretty good that day, I had a partner in the boat who could have come and got me but I was glad he didn't have to. Remote worked fine after...so did my phone AND I got the rod.

17. Member
    A kill switch on the remote that kills the motor when submerged would be the way to go.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

I came very close to taking a cold water bath last year. Here's my story....http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=Ultrex
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Sounds like it could be a movie script. Ghost boat drives itself all over terrorizing the citizens. Throw in a little sex, couple of cars, next summers drive in smash hit.
    One of the famous ghost ships that roam the ocean!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments