Columbus Fishing Expo Review

Overall I thought this was a great show. Here are some of my observations.

There was a ton of fishing boats and bass boats! At least it seemed like a lot to us guys who are used to the Cleveland Boat Show. Knox Marine seemed to have all the new Rangers there, plus the tin BB models and a few tin deep V's. Nice display, front and center. We also saw all of the Bass Cat models (a first for me; nice boats!), most of the Nitro models were there and of course the under $10,000 40th anniversary Tracker. There were Trackers, a couple of Skeeters and a few toons. Plenty to oogle and climb around.

There seemed to be a lot of regional booths full of home poured plastics and China imported tungsten trying to subsidize their hobby. I suspect these guys are a product of the internet but I personally didn't see one that really stood out over the other. They have a sameness. I would have liked to see some national manufacturers there, like Berkley, Eppinger, Mepps and Zoom but those days are probably over.

There was one decent retail outlet (Fisherman's Warehouse, I believe), several travel booths (including Alabama with a G-g-g-g-giant mounted bass!) and I was pleased to see old Dan Gapen there, still plugging his wares. And thanks for the 20% coupon from Dick's! I've already used it and covered my admission price with the savings. I was a little disappointed in the Fishermans Central display but they are saving up for their spring sale when they will have Jason Christie in town. March 4th or 5th I believe.

There was an aisle for college teams and club trails as well statewide trails. All were happy to share information

I scored a HUK performance shirt for $20 and a Mojo performance shirt for $20. All and all a good day and I'll definitely go again.
    Last edited by JHelms; 02-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

2. Member
    wish I would have gone just to see the boats!! who was there with basscats?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Has gotten bigger and better every year!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    Sorry, I can't help you out. Maybe someone else knows. Knox and Indian Lake Marina are the only 2 dealers I recognized but neither of them had the Bass Cat boats.

Edit to add: Joe Thomas did a really good job at the Hawg Trough on jerk baits, square bills and jigs. He talked for the better part of an hour and showed how he likes to work the baits.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

5. Banned
    Taylor's in Waynesville, Ohio sells Bass Cats... Maybe them???... Dan

http://ssmarina.com/new-boats/?NewUs...sort=lengthasc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Taylor's in Waynesville, Ohio sells Bass Cats... Maybe them???... Dan

http://ssmarina.com/new-boats/?NewUs...sort=lengthasc

likely was south shore but was wondering who it was?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    likely was south shore but was wondering who it was?
    It was them. And from a Ranger owner, they looked damn good.

8. Member
    "There seemed to be a lot of regional booths full of home poured plastics and China imported tungsten trying to subsidize their hobby. I suspect these guys are a product of the internet but I personally didn't see one that really stood out over the other. They have a sameness. I would have liked to see some national manufacturers there, like Berkley, Eppinger, Mepps and Zoom but those days are probably over."

We "LBA Baits/ FatSak Tungsten are part of this "hobby" that you speak of.... What you fail to realize is we put up a lot of time and money to go to these shows to give the attendees something to look at and buy.
    As for the "national manufactures"..... Most of them don't even make their own stuff as they buy it from out of the country. As for the "china imported tungsten" Well just a quick tip if you don't already know... It all comes from China...... Even the "national companies".

I understand though the big guys can have more elaborate setups and have more jersey jockeys walking around but I'm sure the majority of us little guys will continue working our tails off to provide quality products and continue to buy booths so attendees have something to look at.

Without us there are no local shows to go to.............

I will put the quality of our tungsten and soft plastic products up against anyone's.

Brandon

9. Member
    Malone's Marine in Ironton Ohio is a Bass Cat dealer as well.
    President
    Team Bass Xtreme & Buckeye Elite Anglers Trail
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

10. Member
    U forgot to mention the Ranger 520L icon edition they had setup up there for a measly $103,xxx!!!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foley12 View Post
    U forgot to mention the Ranger 520L icon edition they had setup up there for a measly $103,xxx!!!!
    i would have gotten 2 for that deal!!!!
    MAGA

12. Banned
    I have been to the show all 4 years and this was the very best.

It was a whole lot better than the Cincinnati sports, boat and fishing show. I went to both this year. First time @ Columbus and been 7 or 8 years since I was at the Cincinnati one. Last time I was there was fishing poles and some lures. Not a Bunch but a little to look at. This year was a waste of time and money. There was some fishing and bass boats but that was it for "Fishing".

Columbus was worth the time I go back next year.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

It was Taylor's in Waynesville, Ohio. They are having an open house for the new dealer show room this weekend. I was going to stop by but plans got changed.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!