Mariner 175 starting issue after running

Has anybody has a issue of boat running fine stop to fish for awhile and go to leave and just spins over also the first take off of the day it bogs down get out of the throttle and get back n take off fine then rest of the day it’s good

seral#0G469027

2. Member
    check spark when problem is occurring
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Yes. I have 98 175 EFI that will start, bog just a little ( a long second ) at first takeoff, and will then will crank but won't start after running to my first stop and fishing for a while. I have been struggling with this problem for almost 2 years. Problem is that it won't fail when it's in the shop, so they can't diagnose and repair it. It did fail ounce while in the shop, and they replaced the electric fuel pump. But it wasn't the problem, and it the issue remains.

I've looked for obvious signs of broken, burned, or otherwise faulty wiring, checked the fuel lines and bulb, but still can't figure it out.

4. Member
    HAWK swap the switch boxes around see if it cures it/inside box may be heating up loosing voltage,check all sensors closely air and cyl temp fo sho when cold
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Will try an check that, seem to have it and crank by time I get it home to check but put spark tester n the boat
    could the ecu take out the spark wasn’t sure if spark is controlled sumwhat by it or if it was just straight off the trigger and Cdi

6. Member
    Hawk I been reading on here guy was talking about ecu causing the bogging issue a lose drive in them the bogging started for me last March but the not starting just started for me
    Last edited by Champion Mariner 175; 02-13-2018 at 09:12 PM.

7. Member
    So today took the boat out it cranked fine fished went to leave and nothing so checked for spark I had no spark started to troll n and stopped to check to see if it would crank so then I noticed I was getting spark on sum cylinders but not all then it cranks right up and the motor was cool to the touch the hole time I was trying to restart it

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champion Mariner 175 View Post
    So today took the boat out it cranked fine fished went to leave and nothing so checked for spark I had no spark started to troll n and stopped to check to see if it would crank so then I noticed I was getting spark on sum cylinders but not all then it cranks right up and the motor was cool to the touch the hole time I was trying to restart it
    Frustrating, for sure.

Took mine to the make on Sunday. Pretty much assuming the thing would valve on me, after cranking it up, launching, and thing it off to the dock, I left it idling while I parked the truck. As luck would have it, the motor petered out as I walked out into the dock to head out to fish.
    It was a good thing, because it allowed me to check out a couple things.
    Had 12.5 volt to the pump, continuity across the +/- terminals, but the pump didn't run and I had no fuel pressure.
    A manual I read today said it could be a bad ground or the ECU. So, I unhooked the leads and wired it directly from the battery, and it pumped. But, it also ran when I hooked it back up to the original circuit. Ughhh.

9. Member
    So my problem was from the power packs that’s all I changed after all the helpful information and ran fine all weekend only issue left was there before hand but I think there an injector stuck open a bit after a long idle got to put it n neutral rev it till it unloads then it take off with out bogging and with me
    and my dad which is about me 280 pops is 380+/- a bit full live well and fuel tank and gear I was able to run 64mph at 4900rpm if the lake would have been smooth probably could have gotten little more out of it
    thanks again for all the help really appreciate it