Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA New MotorGuide Xi3

Hey Everyone,

I was lucky enough to test out the new MotorGuide Xi3 trolling motors before they came out when i was a Marine Electronics buyer at Cabela's. I now work for MotorGuide as a Product Manager (Just to cover any bias). I was very surprised at the value and versatility of this motor! it is 40% quieter than the competition and requires 50% less effort as well. It is extremely easy to stow and deploy compared to previous models and the features you get out of the box are amazing when you consider the price! All of the advantages of wireless control out of the box for the base models and the options of advanced features like Pinpoint GPS with Lowrance connectivity for total control on the top tier Xi3 at an affordable price. This is a great motor not just for walleye fishermen but for the multi-species and even bass fishermen.

Wanted to get feedback on what anglers are hearing around the boat ramp for Xi3. Has anyone heard about the good/bad/ugly out there?

Come check us out at the Bassmaster Classic in Greenville!

Xi3 Feature Video

Lowrance Control

Thanks!
    -Sam

2. mikesxpress
    It's a 24 volt. That's going to drop the bass boat interest level by 50%+. No foot pedal drops it by another 50%+.
    I always stop in the MG booth at IBEX and talk with the guys. The release of the X5 with the composite shaft and plastic pedal really hurt MG. It feels cheap after years of running a Tour and then running an X5 on my friends Triton at Okeechobee for two weeks and watching him constantly tightening things up every few days I had my actual review. I bought a new backup 36V Tour to hold in reserve and my friend replaced that X5 with a Tour like he had before. Hope that helps...

3. Member
    A hard core Bass fisherman is not going to use that trolling . It has no foot control pedal . We want something built like the tour model . Quite like the x5 model 20 pounds liter than the Minkota ultrex and have gps spotlock . And be half the cost of the minkota ultrex .

4. Member
    ^ MAKE IT HAPPEN.I like my x5 more than the tours

5. Banned
    No foot pedal I'm out.

6. Member
    How did you guys get the links to work? When I press either one, nothing happens.

I found it on the company site. The shortest one in 24v looks to be 54 inches???
    Last edited by cweb; 02-13-2018 at 01:19 PM.

7. mikesxpress
    You run a Tour with metal pedal and metal shaft and then an X5 you'll know which one is a better TM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cweb View Post
    How did you guys get the links to work? When I press either one, nothing happens.

I found it on the company site. The shortest one in 24v looks to be 54 inches???

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    A hard core Bass fisherman is not going to use that trolling . It has no foot control pedal . We want something built like the tour model . Quite like the x5 model 20 pounds liter than the Minkota ultrex and have gps spotlock . And be half the cost of the minkota ultrex .
    completely understand for the hard core bass angler. you can use the MotorGuide Wireless Foot Pedal for foot control and the remote or your compatible Lowrance for route record and full control at the console. perfect world would be a wireless foot pedal that responded exactly like a cable steer for complete control without the cables.

Motorguide offers nothing at the moment that I would buy to replace my Tour 82. Biggest mistake MG ever made was discontinuing the Tour Edition. Especially since there would seem to be nothing from MG that is anywhere near the capabilities of the Ultrex.
    If it was rendered beyond repair today, I would have to switch to MK. I’ve had ample time operating the x3 and x5 to conclude that they’re not something I would buy.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    Yep the tour was much much better than the x3 or x4. I own an xi5 and I am happy with it. One thing I want for is a lighted direction arrow of some sort.

12. Member
    minn kota only T/M for me!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scbuckeye View Post
    completely understand for the hard core bass angler. you can use the MotorGuide Wireless Foot Pedal for foot control and the remote or your compatible Lowrance for route record and full control at the console. perfect world would be a wireless foot pedal that responded exactly like a cable steer for complete control without the cables.
    I have an Xi5 and am a tournament bass fisherman but the foot pedal is a half baked disaster. I was one of the "lucky" ones who got a pedal that burns through batteries like water. I had to install a switch this winter to hopefully stop this fiasco. I realize that this will void my warranty but MG wasn't stepping up to offer a fix to a known issue so it was either buy stock in Duracell or add the switch. When I bought the motor I was hopeful that you were going to develop a gen 2 pedal with the features you describe above. What I don't understand is why you can't put a cervo based micro cable system inside the pedal that then translates the movement wirelessly to the receiver on the trolling motor. Basically it functions like a cable steer but instead of cables transferring the movement directly to the motor the location of the pedal is wirelessly transmitted to the motor based upon the position of the cervo. The current design is overly sensitive and difficult to control the boat in tight quarters with wind and/or current. PM me if you want more "feedback".

14. Member
    M K has quite the following, so they are obviously doing something right. I've ran a M G Tour 36 V for going on 15 years, and I've replaced a cable and a momentary on/off switch. That's it. Despite this dependability, I would still have to go with M K due to the Tour Edition being unavailable.

I'm a cable and pedal guy, too much to go wrong with wireless technology on a trolling motor for my taste. It will get there, it just not there at this point, IMO. Appears MK is selling the mess out of them though. This isn't the first time I've been left behind on technology, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    I have an Xi5 and am a tournament bass fisherman but the foot pedal is a half baked disaster. I was one of the "lucky" ones who got a pedal that burns through batteries like water. I had to install a switch this winter to hopefully stop this fiasco. I realize that this will void my warranty but MG wasn't stepping up to offer a fix to a known issue so it was either buy stock in Duracell or add the switch. When I bought the motor I was hopeful that you were going to develop a gen 2 pedal with the features you describe above. What I don't understand is why you can't put a cervo based micro cable system inside the pedal that then translates the movement wirelessly to the receiver on the trolling motor. Basically it functions like a cable steer but instead of cables transferring the movement directly to the motor the location of the pedal is wirelessly transmitted to the motor based upon the position of the cervo. The current design is overly sensitive and difficult to control the boat in tight quarters with wind and/or current. PM me if you want more "feedback".
    I had no idea the foot pedal burning batteries was a known problem. I just assumed I left the pedal on even though I think I did shut it down most of the time. The wireless foot pedal is such garbage I gave up on it and used the remote only anyways.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scbuckeye View Post
    No cable controls it's trash.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I had no idea the foot pedal burning batteries was a known problem. I just assumed I left the pedal on even though I think I did shut it down most of the time. The wireless foot pedal is such garbage I gave up on it and used the remote only anyways.
    See this: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=857498

Then go here for the solution: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=862487

Since I've already voided the warranty I'm considering doing this: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....l+modification
    Last edited by FishinDad; 02-13-2018 at 11:31 PM.

I like the pedal. I don't want the cable feel. The ability to go past 360 ° works great.
    How much time did you guys spend trying to use the pedal ?
    I was running mine with a broken foot while wearing a full aircast last year.
    I also won big bass some how
    It definitely takes some time to get used to but it's not rocket science.
    You step on the pedal when you want the motor to move. You stop stepping on it when you want it to stop.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

It's not a battery problem with all of them.
    I've got 2 years out of mine so far.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

20. Member
    I can’t believe MG has not come out with something to match the Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast