USA New MotorGuide Xi3

Hey Everyone,

I was lucky enough to test out the new MotorGuide Xi3 trolling motors before they came out when i was a Marine Electronics buyer at Cabela's. I now work for MotorGuide as a Product Manager (Just to cover any bias). I was very surprised at the value and versatility of this motor! it is 40% quieter than the competition and requires 50% less effort as well. It is extremely easy to stow and deploy compared to previous models and the features you get out of the box are amazing when you consider the price! All of the advantages of wireless control out of the box for the base models and the options of advanced features like Pinpoint GPS with Lowrance connectivity for total control on the top tier Xi3 at an affordable price. This is a great motor not just for walleye fishermen but for the multi-species and even bass fishermen.

Wanted to get feedback on what anglers are hearing around the boat ramp for Xi3. Has anyone heard about the good/bad/ugly out there?

Come check us out at the Bassmaster Classic in Greenville!

Xi3 Feature Video

Lowrance Control

Thanks!
    -Sam

2. Member
    My issue is the lack of an LED on the foot pedal to indicate it is on. A lot of older guys can't hear the high frequency audible tone. I e-mailed the company and would love to try a new prototype.

I have a Xi5 and will be in the market for an additional tm in the spring. What is the difference between the Xi3 and xi5 ?
    Thier website isn't very clear for a comparison.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

One of my Fishing Buddies had an Xi5 and I was impressed with the quietness of the motor and the precision of the spotlock. He later sold it and bought an Ulteria because he needed auto deploy and stow. Buddy fishes over 250 days per year and in the 2 years he owned it, it never missed a beat. His concern was the difficulty of deploying and the fact that he had to lean over the bow to pick it up to stow. I should qualify this by saying that he is in his early 80’s and has had a hip replacement.
    I have an Ultrex because my fishing style is different from his. He spends 90% of his time off shore fishing for Crappie, White Bass and Hybrids and I spend 90% of my time Fishing visible cover and flipping docks for Bass. For me, having the feel and responsiveness of cable steer was imperative, so I am pleased with the Ultrex. That being said, I wish the motor was quieter. I have had 2 MAXXUM’s and the Ultrex is more noisy than both.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    I bought one last spring. Ran it the whole summer. Not a single problem with it. 12v GPS without foot pedal.

Park it over some fish for vertical presentation, run a weed line... move the boat around structure. what can I say. :)

I've had a xi5 for 3 years. I'm wondering what the difference is between the xi3 and xi5 ?
    I can fish docks all day with mine.
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by EeroA View Post
    I bought one last spring. Ran it the whole summer. Not a single problem with it. 12v GPS without foot pedal.

Park it over some fish for vertical presentation, run a weed line... move the boat around structure. what can I say. :)

Welcome aboard
    Anthrax

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m looking at the Xi3 really hard right now. I really want to try one out but I’m leaning heavily towards it to replace the old MotorGuide that came on my baby Triton. My issue, which is very general, is how to determine what shaft length I would need. I’m not sure if you measure only the shaft? From the top of the unit to the motor? I say this because the shaft in my current motor measures much shorter than anything I see listed by any company.

Thanks for the video!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I have an Xi5 with the gateway kit hooked up to my Lowrance network and it's great! I love it for fishing the humps for bass and walleye. With the release of the Ultrex though I have been waiting for motorguide to come out with something to compete with the Ultrex but if that doesn't happen then it may be time to switch brands. It's just hard to give up the connectivity of the Motorguide with my Lowrance HDS units. I pass over a hump and if I see fish on it I use the track back feature and just press go to cursor and my Xi5 takes me right to the fish I saw on my graph. Drop down and start catching. It works amazing for walleye and fall smallies on Lake of the Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’m looking at the Xi3 really hard right now. I really want to try one out but I’m leaning heavily towards it to replace the old MotorGuide that came on my baby Triton. My issue, which is very general, is how to determine what shaft length I would need. I’m not sure if you measure only the shaft? From the top of the unit to the motor? I say this because the shaft in my current motor measures much shorter than anything I see listed by any company.

Thanks for the video!
    suggest you post this in the Trolling motor forum. Mr Jones will know the answer.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks Bill, Again!

I intend on PM’ing him when I’m ready to pull the trigger.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV