Banned

water pump torque spec?

Engine serial # 1B446918

Don whats is the torque specification for the screw (part #96411) and/or the nuts that attach the water pump body assembly for a 150 optimax?

2. Banned
    Anyone?

3. Member
    yes /screw is 35 in lbs/ nuts are 48.6 in lbs hope this helps ya JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Banned
    Many thanks, picked up the impeller and other parts today, will be a good February weekend to get this knocked out
    Last edited by Legend LE-195; 02-16-2018 at 03:46 PM.

5. Member
    I’m doing the same thing this weekend. Joe mentioned on another board about the use of alignment pins is this something you
    use when changing impeller? I got the parts needed but no manual I’m going by you tube and advise from the BBC. First time changing impeller for me any info is a big help

6. Member
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    No pins necessary when servicing a 2.5L Optimax water pump because the housing is located with studs in the lower unit. Studs are useful for 3L Optimax as they use a different pump housing. I don't know what the arrangement is for the 1.5L Optimax, maybe someone will post on that pump housing style.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 02-17-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add info
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Banned
    I think those torque specs are wrong for the 150, maybe for the metal housing that is on the 200hp and up. The 150 has a plastic housing and those torque specs crushed the replacement housing when I tried to torque it to those #'s, so I just put the old black OEM one back on and snugged it up.
    Last edited by Legend LE-195; 02-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    I think those torque specs are wrong for the 150, maybe for the metal housing that is on the 200hp and up. The 150 has a plastic housing and those torque specs crushed the replacement housing when I tried to torque it to those #'s, so I just put the old black OEM one back on and snugged it up.
    Are you using an inch pound torque wrench? I have never crushed a housing using the specs listed above which are same as what I sent you via PM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    +1

You will not crush the housing at 48-50 lbs/in

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor