1997 Mariner 175 starting problems

Has anybody ever had a problem where boat cranks and runs fine stop for an hour to fish and go to crank pup to leave and it just spins over then by the time u make it to the trailer it starts up with no problem

2. Member
    You should probably post this in the Mercury Forum. He will need the serial number of the outboard.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Ok thanks

4. Member
    Did you try pumping primer bulb when it would not crank? Heat soak can cause fuel to vaporize in the fuel system creating bubbles in the fuel system that make it hard to start motor. Pumping bulb helps compress bubbles and flow fuel to motor. Could be other problems too. Post your serial number for specific help and posting in the Mercury 2.5 L forum is the best place for your motor question.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    I talked to a local repair guy today he seems to think my problem is the stator because of the lack of spark when it won’t crank

6. Member
    possible ,but I dout it,tell him guarantee it or no pay, that's how I roll easily tested
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Does anybody know the ohm readings for the stator and or trigger trying to make a fishing trip to the first weekend of March and all the shops around here 3weeks out and I’m having trouble finding information on how to check it

8. Member
    need a manual/ trigger 1100-1400/ stat between bl -red 3500-4200 blw-redw -35-4200 red and redwhite to grnd 90-140 stators usualy go bad and stay bad
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Ok I’m check the reading and right now it won’t crank at all just spins over no spark anywhere that happened Friday took boat out cranked ran fine stopped to fish the motor was cool to touch tried to crank it nothing started to troll n bout two hours later tried it cranked right up put on trailer got it home hasn’t cranked since and zero spark

10. Member
    Is there any way to troubleshoot the switch boxes

11. Member
    eliminate stator and trigger and wirring,no fire on any cyl could be stator or kill curciut in boxes or wirring,pull black yellow wires off both boxes see if fire returns warning could start with plug wires on

12. Member
    So got a manual and ohm check stator and trigger and they have checked good didn’t get to check kill yet had to wrk late so checking that tomorrow but I got a question if anybody would know manual say to check switch box u can lift whit/blk and go term to ground and and should see 1300-1500 ohm I saw nothing on either box just a blink of 1900 then nothing so by that I’m guessing switch boxes when out would y’all agree?

13. Member
    possible one or both, merc recommends replace both,replace one and recheck as per manual

14. Member
    Remove kill wires still no spark so guess switch boxes are the problem waiting on sum to come n now hopefully that fixes it

15. Member
    possible bias failure /remove white black wire from outside see if spark on either side

16. Member
    So remove blk/whit and got fire on left side only landed it back and still have spark on that side so guess that a very good sign power pack so here the next question could not get oem n time so got EBAY special cus no one around here could get real ones n time

17. Member
    So has anyone had good luck with eBay power packs

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amay1991 View Post
    I am having the the same issues with my boat it will start off the tailer every time and after I get to my fishing spot and want to move the boat will not start. If I crank on it for an hour or two then it will pop off just wondering what you found was the issue I have been chasing an intermittent ghost and have got 3k into the motor and I am still experiencing the same issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Your best option would be to open a new topic for your specific engine in the appropriate forum and please include engine serial number when you do. This forum is primarily for 2-stroke engines 130hp and smaller.

This forum is PRIMARILY for 2-stroke 130hp and under!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champion Mariner 175 View Post
    So has anyone had good luck with eBay power packs
    No. And we do not support "Bay or Zon" purchased items here in the forums.

This thread should have been in the 2.0/2.4/2.5L Forum. Moving it now.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor