HPDI dies when shifting into neutral

Need a little help, '08 HPDI Series 2 just completed the 100hr service. The motor starts and runs fine until you shift back into neutral from either fwd or reverse. About 75% of the time when shifted back to neutral it dies and is very difficult to restart. Idle is very rough when shifting into neutral but will smooth out after a couple seconds if it doesn't die.

Additionally, when in neutral and you spin the prop in either direction, it has an audible clicking noise. Ran fine and had no noise prior to the service which included filters, lower unit service and impeller. Ran it this weekend and it still runs strong and turns the same RPM as before.

2. Member
    sorry i can’t help but if it wasn’t doing it before the service, take it back to whoever did the 100 service.

3. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I would do the sync and link procedure...that should fix it up.....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    I would do the sync and link procedure...that should fix it up.....

Will do

5. Member
    It could be the shift cable out of sync or needing to be replaced. The clicking of the prop is a symptom of that and it also could be affecting the way the shift position sensor is reading.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    It could be the shift cable out of sync or needing to be replaced. The clicking of the prop is a symptom of that and it also could be affecting the way the shift position sensor is reading.
    Shift position switch and shift cable are the culprits. It's less than 2 MM from being perfect but that's enough to cause the issue.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunpilot View Post
    Shift position switch and shift cable are the culprits. It's less than 2 MM from being perfect but that's enough to cause the issue.
    Wow, a 2 mm adjustment on the shift cable fixed the issues? I may need to re-adjust mine as I don't think it's perfect.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    Wow, a 2 mm adjustment on the shift cable fixed the issues? I may need to re-adjust mine as I don't think it's perfect.
    We are still messing with it. It worked perfectly on the hose and as soon as it was backed into the water, same problem. Educated guess is an intermittent issue with the switch but my mechanic is still hard at work troubleshooting. Shifts great and the clicking in the prop is gone as well.