Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starting a new project on my Lund

Going to be installing power-poles on my renegade so I'll post some pictures of the process since someone was requesting more posts like this a few threads down.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

This is what my battery compartment looked like. There was no room for pumps so I knew I'd need to make some adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

Any configuration I tried with the trays that came with the boat didn't leave enough room, so I took them out and discovered if I relocated the cranking battery a little to the left (still on its tray) and then put the trolling motor batteries right next to each other like they are in this picture it leaves enough room for pumps. Now my problem is that I need a way to secure those too batteries. I am currently in the process of making a tray for them out of stainless that will stop them from sliding backwards and that I can put a strap underneath to keep them in place. More pictures of that coming soon.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

4. Banned
    Looking forward to seeing this come together...looks good so far. The stainless tray is a good idea...I did the same thing with aluminum and it worked perfect. Thanks for posting...

Thanks, I actually just cut the piece out and ended up using aluminum because we had some scrap kicking around. I'm going to take it home at lunch and make sure it fits correctly then drill some holes in it and add a rubber mat on top. Should have an update after that!
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

6. Banned
    Are you going to be able to remove the batteries with the pumps installed?

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Are you going to be able to remove the batteries with the pumps installed?
    I think I'd probably have to unbolt one of the pumps and carefully pull it and the hose out of the way to take them out, or I may have to take the cranking battery out to take the others out. I'm ok with that though because I don't foresee myself needing to take them out unless I need to replace one, so hopefully that won't be very often. Moving all that stuff around in there last night wasn't a big deal, so If I end up needing to do the same thing to remove the batteries, that's ok with me. Good observation though I didn't think about that.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

8. Banned
    I wouldn't put the pump in there. If you ever have an issue on the water you would need address you can't. Look at the big picture, not just the end result of having power poles. See if pumps will fit in under seat storage of rear deck side storage. Just my 2 cents.

9. Member
    if you havnen't puchased the poles yet, you might consider talons which wouldn't have the internal pump. I have a pole in mine but i had a free compartment to use on the prov bass.

I am not worried about the battery situation. I fish small Maine lakes, not big water like a lot of you guys. If I have a battery problem serious enough to have to remove one, I will take the boat home and remove it. I don't really see why that's a concern since I can easily access the tops of the batteries which is the only spot you would be doing anything to in most situations anyway. On top of that, the cranking battery can be removed without anything else needing to be moved. Its only the trolling motor batteries that will be a little bit tougher to get out. As far as pumps go, the spot I have opened up for them is just as big as my back storage compartments, and I would rather have them in there instead of taking up storage room. I don't want talons because I don't want to add that amount of weight to my boat. And personally I hate the way they look. This being said, I appreciate your opinions and understand why what I am doing might not be what you would do.

Also I don't even know for certain that I won't be able to remove my batteries with the pumps installed yet, its just a possible obstacle I might run into.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

11. Banned
    Personally...I think the way you're doing this is perfect...if it all fits. Still looking forward to seeing this progress... More pics please. Thanks again.

Here's the little tray I did up today, tried it with the batteries at lunch and it works. Might wait to fasten it into place until the pumps come so I know if that the setup will work or not before I screw it in. The batteries will be secured by a buckling strap that will run underneath the middle of this when it is screwed down.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

13. Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that you need a switch to kill the power to the poles when you aren't using it. Unless something has changed, the poles take a small amount of juice continually unless they are completely blocked from the battery. Lots of options out there for the switch but they take up a little bit of space as well. And double check that you have the height clearance to put the pumps in there. Seems like mine are pretty tall. I can't tell from the pic how deep that space is. If it all fits though, you'll be in business. Good luck

14. Not Banned
    You can always pull the fuse instead of adding a cut off if space is a concern. The fuse will be right where it hooks to the battery so no issue getting to it. Takes 5 seconds.

I’ll have to wait and see how much space I’m working with once I put the pumps in when the poles get here. Height isn’t an issue they are 9” tall and my compartment is 14” deep. Kevin over at k&k told me their footprint together is about 7”x15”, and the space I have is 11.5”x15.5”.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

Update: Poles came in yesterday so I was able to test out whether or not everything was going to fit in the battery compartment. It did, and with room to spare. For those who were concerned, all I need to do to take the batteries out is loosen the two bolts on the closer pump, pull it out of the way, and lift and turn the battery up and out of the compartment. I positioned the pumps a little closer to the wall than they are in that picture, and I faced them backwards like that so the caps are easier to access for fluid and so the hoses can go straight in from the back instead of having to run over the tops of the pumps. My home made battery tray worked great as well.

2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

17. Member
    Ready to rock now. Looks good for sure. are you mounting the poles straight to the transom and remember to have a way to completely cut power to them while not in use or they will drain your batteries.

Nope I had to go with M to S brackets to a couple of side mount brackets due to my jack plate. I'm actually happy with that though because when I need to adjust my jack plate (it's manual) the power poles will not have to be re-positioned since they aren't actually mounted directly to it.

As of right now I plan to just do what TheSilverFox and a few others have said and pull the fuses, then later on if I see the need I will add a switch.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

19. Banned
    Man that looks great! Custom all the way!

Thanks Just waiting to be able to get my boat in to my dealer to have the M to S brackets put on so I can do the rest of the installation. I wish I had a way to lift the outboard off the transom myself, but I guess I can be patient and wait for someone who actually knows what they are doing to get it done.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast